Crab Bait

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
davet
Silver Member
Silver Member

Crab Bait

Post by davet »

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting out the crab pots and was wondering what is the most productive crab bait? I noticed the other day there are packs of chicken frames in tuna oil available from some of the fishing outlets, wouldn't it be better using tuna frames?

slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Crab Bait

Post by slug »

Fish frames work for me. I particularly like the head/frames of smallish harbour goldies - perfect size and wiring in through the gills & out the mouth keeps them in place beautifully ....
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

We use Chook frames from lenards. They are around $10 a box and soak them in a bit.of tuna oil. Fresh fish frames for us are the best . Mackie & tuna frames are by far our favourite (think the oily flesh helps attract muddies), but any frame will work.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Anthony92
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony92 »

Use a Tin of cat food and pierce holes into the tin! works well with a whole mullet also!.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

chook frames always
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Chook or fish frames - must be fresh
also keep your dog away while you load the esky or you will be a few short in quick time - he must have thought it was christmas - oh beauty, dad bought these just for me :bonk:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Fish frames...best are tuna and Mackie. Magpie geese are great also .
I find the chick frames are a bit hit and miss from my experience but still will use if I'm desperate.
I have bought fish head at ww but it can get expensive. $18 for 10 heads.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I use chook frames from lenards too. Its easy and they catch. I steer away from the tuna oil because of the mess in the boat, but in saying that, it would probably mean more crabs too. I usually dont use fish head/frames. Not because they dont catch well, because they do. Its because only the smaller frames will fit in my hard mesh bait boxes I made. If I get tuna though, I will axe up the frame and put a piece in with the chook frame
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Goldie heads are no good. :lol:
6 crabs.JPG
Darwin Harbor 003.JPG
Darwin Harbor 015.JPG
Darwin Harbor 009.JPG
In all seriousness any fish heads or chicken frames soaked in tuna oil will work. Crabs will eat any thing as long as the scent can spread. Chicken frames are a little soft if you don't have good bait bags and will be destroyed quick if pots are set for too long and with the rectangle mesh pots crabs will bust out if the bait is destroyed. Fish heads last longer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.