New barra combo - suggestions

Jimstuch
Seadog
Seadog

New barra combo - suggestions

Post by Jimstuch »

G'day everyone - due to the unfortunate demise of my beautiful barra combo yesterday :banghead: i'm now in the market for a new combo to replace... I would be more than happy to go out and get another curado 200/silstar power tip 4-6kg combo as it was a beauty of a thing but am open to suggestions - am willing to fork out a bit so whats everyone's dream combo's???

mate has suggested calcutta 200B on a g-loomis, but i really like the curado? plusses and minuses of both?? also would you all recommend a slightly heavier rod? mine was a present so i couldn't really complain but 4-6kg was maybe a bit light?

advice much appreciated...

Cheers,
Stuch.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Rod and Reel

Post by jasonmcc »

I would go another Curado 200 or 300 and match it too a Shimano T-curve Barra rod. Thats what I have and its awesome to use.

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
Sam
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sam »

I second jasonmcc, I got myself a Curado 200DHSV and a Shimano T Curve for approx $355, not bad considering it fell into my budget limits
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

gear

Post by dodgyone »

Somebody had better buy this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... &rd=1&rd=1
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Mate it depends on what you are going to do with it cast or troll ?

I use a G-Loomis GL3 with a curado 200 on it for casting :grin:

and

a Wilson Live Fibre "Territory" 10kg with a Calcuttu 400 for trolling.

Both good set ups. I also have a Calcutta 200 and a Diawa LM7 as a back up Trolling rod and a custom G-loomis with a curado 200 on it as a back up flick stick but they doesn't see the outside of the shed to often these days (nor do about 4 or 6 others)

Personaly I would go into TEFS and spend an hour or 2 and see what fits you best. You might find that the Abu Morrum is more your liking. I find having a seperate rod for trolling and casting is a great way to go.

cheers

2rods (or should that be 22rods :shock: Don't tell the missus)
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Jimstuch
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jimstuch »

thanks guys for the tips :cheers:

2rods - will mostly be used for casting but want something thats versatile.. i really liked the curado for the lightweight feel and excellent accuracy (and distance) when casting so i think i might go for a new one of those on a g-loomis - if i can afford it!!!

just another question tho - looking on the shimano site i see the you've got the option of the 200DHSV (high speed) or 200DPV (power) models.. can anyone offer any practical advice as to the plusses/minuses of each of these two models?

by the way 2rods my dad (Bill) says g'day - he used to chair the NTWSAC and speaks highly of your contribution!! :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Stuch.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

G'day Jim,
Mate the G-loomis GL3 is very good but have a close look at the 6-8kg Wilson live Fibre Territory. they are around $180 and I think thats good value for what you get.

With the new Curado's the boys from TEFS told me to steer clear of them and stick with the older 200 (they still have about 50 of them). They don't think that they are as well made and as robust as the older model :???:

BarraBeast has one of the High speed models and he loves it.... his way of thinking is that you can crank the lure in quick once it's out of the strike zone...

Anyway what ever you end up with I hope you like it. and if you need to borrow one untill you get one I have a Abu Morrum rod and a abu reel that you can borrow. :mrgreen:

Oh and say hello to your dad 4 me as well please :grin:

2rods

2RODS

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

Sconik
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Sconik »

2Rods,
Were they only referring to the new 300 being not as well built??? or did they suggest the new 200's may also be inferior?

Just coughed up for a brand spankin' 200DPV. Looks and feels the goods, but having said that. . . . . I haven't seen the older models to compare with.

Cheers,
Scotty
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Sconik wrote:2Rods,
Were they only referring to the new 300 being not as well built??? or did they suggest the new 200's may also be inferior?

Just coughed up for a brand spankin' 200DPV. Looks and feels the goods, but having said that. . . . . I haven't seen the older models to compare with.

Cheers,
Scotty
G'day Scotty,
I think they were referring to all of them?? not sure as I just decided to stick with the older model... a lot of the guides up here are buying up the older models, I like the look and feel of the new ones but I will wait a while before I change from the tried and prooven modle.

Then again maybe the tackle shop were just telling me :bs: but I don't think so.

cheers

2rods

2RODS

As John Wayne once said:

Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

I don't really know about the low profile baitcasters since I'm a round profile fan but what are the Chronarch and Calais like?
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

..............the calais and the chronarc are like silk, but you pay for it best value with nocompramise on quality is curado, match this with a t-curve = great outfit..............

:catch: :fishing: :catch: :fishing: :catch: :fishing: :catch: :fishing: :catch: :fishing: :catch: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: :fishy: