Dry season Barra suggestions

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Tommy222220_0
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dry season Barra suggestions

Post by Tommy222220_0 »

Hey guys,

Got a friend coming up next week who is keen to bag a Barra? Any suggestions on where to go with the wind? Thinking either corrorboree (frogs round the lilies or bynoe and target them on the flats n snake drains.)

Are the billabongs clean enough yet or still to murky?

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Dry season Barra suggestions

Post by Blinky »

Billabongs will be fine, hasn't been enough rain to get 'em murky.............
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

I fished Corroboree on Wednesday for 4 Barra in the 60's and lost count of how many Toga I landed. Some decent Toga getting around in there. With the recent drop in temperature I found most barra landed, to be tucked in amongst the shallow weed beds. Casting 4 inch Z-man PaddlerZ (weedless) and slow rolling through the weedy channels and edges was a standout. Missed a few strikes too.
Toga came from the lilies and pandanus' on Horny toads and the above mentioned rig. The trolling brigade was very quiet so I was told.

Fished Hardies a few days earlier for an arvo sesh for one O/S Toga and the water looked the goods as it always does colour wise. It's not as clear as Corroboree but its very mineral based with the sandy bottom, giving it a greenish colour in appearance. Far more snags to be cast at also, which is my preference to fish and I often find the fish in there to be both silver and larger. Note that the water level is very low and the entrance to the pandanus forest it is extremely shallow. Slow Down before the big tree in the middle and trim up.
I'll fish it again next swing off as its still my favourite freshwater haunt.

Finniss fresh is an option, I've done OK in there fishing afternoons but generally fishes better with flow during the wet/run off or in the build up. Good snags to cast at. Do you like sooties?

The 4 mile is no go and I haven't heard about the 2 mile.

Other options are out there but these are the ones I've heard about recently and had success at. Good luck.

Richie
Mad KEEN!
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

2 mile is open and weedless, not sure about the fish though.
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Mate my 2 cents is Darwin or bynoe harbor r as good as any. Also if the barra aren't playing u can go n bait fish. Drop a few pots in. Billabongs r still a great day n the scenery second to none, a fish is a bonus. Leaders creek on neaps even the top of the Adelaide with baits may suprise u.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Couple of days out at Crab Claw - range of habitat out there and you can catch barra and a few other species, you've also got the Finniss fresh nearby