Buff gun

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
porky17
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Buff gun

Post by porky17 »

Thinking of adding a 375 H&H to my arsenal as my buff gun :hunting:

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Cheers porky

darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Buff gun

Post by darwinguy »

Top calibre , one of the best for up here for buff and scrub bulls.
dingaling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingaling »

cant go past the 375 for the top end. She has got enough grunt to stop everything up here.
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Not a bad choice. I prefer to use a 3 litre diesel hilux myself. Proven buff stopper. Reloading is farkn expensive though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
porky17
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by porky17 »

Thanks for the input guys.

Bushie thanks mate but i think i'll go the 375 and i'll Never whinge about thr price of bullets
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

Shoot a few big calibres before you buy mate if you haven't shot them before.. I prefer to shoot the .458 or .416Rigby over a .375H&H but that's just personal preference..
saltpeter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltpeter »

interesting fact i read in a nick Harvey article is the 338 win mag round surpasses the 375 for hitting power after about 200 metres due to the 375 shedding velocity. if your recoil shy then you might want to try before you buy, ive heard it said many times that a smaller caliber you can shoot with accuracy is far far better the a cannon that has you closing your eyes and flinching.
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

bushie wrote:Not a bad choice. I prefer to use a 3 litre diesel hilux myself. Proven buff stopper. Reloading is farkn expensive though.
Ouch! That your new rig mate? Hope everyone is okay1
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
Deigs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Deigs »

shot my first buff with a 458 very nice gun to shoot doesn't hurt at all but does after 11 rounds 375 can be full on if you haven't shot one before
troamaru
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by troamaru »

saltpeter wrote:interesting fact i read in a nick Harvey article is the 338 win mag round surpasses the 375 for hitting power after about 200 metres due to the 375 shedding velocity. if your recoil shy then you might want to try before you buy, ive heard it said many times that a smaller caliber you can shoot with accuracy is far far better the a cannon that has you closing your eyes and flinching.
.338 in a light sporter is bl..dy savage to shoot and you will find it is just as likely to cause a flinch.. And I haven't shot or seen a buff at more than 150m and wouldn't want to go much further out thab than that..
Deigs wrote:shot my first buff with a 458 very nice gun to shoot doesn't hurt at all but does after 11 rounds 375 can be full on if you haven't shot one before
Yep gotta agree with Deigs there, .458 is a much nicer calibre to shoot than the .375H&H in my opinion.. .375 is a big bl..dy smack in the shoulder where as .458 while being a massive calibre is more of a hard push in my opinion.. :hunting: :hunting:
porky17
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by porky17 »

troamaru thanks for that comparison on recoil, have used my mates .458 plenty but not a .375 so thats interesting to know.
I won't be shooting any buff at more than a 100m or so, so not worried about hitting power past the 200m mark. 1 other advantage of getting a .458 is my mate has all the reloading gear for his. Save me a few bucks there.

Thanks guys any other reccomendations or alternatives.

Porky
dingaling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dingaling »

My Remington 375hh is a real lite rifle and a real pleasure to carry. yes it kicks but I never seem to notice it when there is pigs or a scrub bull in my sights. 2 of my mtaes have 458's and that is what I origionall set out to buy but could not find one in stainless. I real happy that i could not find what i was looking for with the 458 now cause i am stoked with the 375. I think mine is a XCR model. it rocks.
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

If your worried about recoil try throwing a muzzle brake on, makes a massive difference with my 338LM, prior to the brake it'd sit me on my arse, after i could shoulder fire no worries
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....
Big Dan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Big Dan »

375 H+H is an awesome calibre, shot a few on the Tiwis and out Arnhemland with mine and it's always been good.

Dont buy cheap ammo, you'll be wasting your time when you come across a big Bull. I load Woodleigh 300grain round nose soft points and always have a few 350 grain solids for a follow up shot if needed. Barnes X's have always been good to me as well. Shot placement on the big bulls is paramount with the 375 though.

Get a decent heavy gun, recoil shouldnt worry you, if it does, take up knitting....;)

Good luck!!!
wally gator
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by wally gator »

303 full wood soft nose ammo........