Sept/Oct 2019 Trip

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sept/Oct 2019 Trip

Post by Saltboy »

Hi guys,

As I didn't do a trip in 2018, I am definitely going to do one 2019. I was thinking of Heading up to the Roper, then down to Limmen, across to KAB and then home to Mackay. Will be towing the 5.5m Mclay up. Looking at around at least 5 days at each of the 3 spots to make worthwhile. While I'm assuming The Limmen Fishing Camp is the place for there and KAB is easy, Is Tomato Island campground the place to go for the Roper???. I'm self sufficient with fridges, genny's, solar etc etc

Would appreciate any advice and there is an open invitation to anybody who wants to join in??

Dave

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Sept/Oct 2019 Trip

Post by mickkk »

I’ll be heading our to Lorella springs with my boat in April. So I’ll tell you how I go, but I reckon it would be worth putting that on the list if you are going last anyway. I’m heading out to the coast to spot x, with a 5.6 m boat.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

Thanks Mick. I thought about checking out Lorella Springs, but baulked a bit as I don't think I'll have my off-road trailer funded/built next year and I've been told that my standard trailer wouldn't get to good spots through Lorella??. My current trailer is a Redco Sportsman but it has handled the PDR among quite a few cr.p roads. Speed, tyre pressure and not filling boat with 10 tons of gear has seen me get to a lot of places with a 5.5m boat and stock trailer.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I did 8 years or so tripping annually to the Roper from Rocky (with the guy you met at the motel bar in Rocky that afternoon).

You can have all of the stuff about the Roper that I accumulated in those trips if you like. Tomato Is, Ngukurr, Port Roper, river navigation hazards, fishing spots etc.

Bitumen road all the way until short of Roper Bar. From there it can be a trailer killer at times. If a sign points something out, then take notice of it. They mean it.

We don't go to NT anymore since all of the cr.p about access permits etc started up a couple of years ago. Can't see that improving. Barra fishing good in Qld without the distances or the access uncertainty.
Regards
Ronje
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Hey ronje,
I was looking at stopping in at the roper on the way back from Lorella in early May.
How many days would you say you need tohave to fish there (if you have never fished there before.)
How far down would you need to go. Will be mostly trawling, bit hard to do too much flicking with a 5, 7 and 8 year old in the boat.
I enjoy the explore as much as the fishing, so is there things right down towards the mouth that’s worth the trip?
I have heard that there camping spots on the bank down there.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

ronje wrote:I did 8 years or so tripping annually to the Roper from Rocky (with the guy you met at the motel bar in Rocky that afternoon).

You can have all of the stuff about the Roper that I accumulated in those trips if you like. Tomato Is, Ngukurr, Port Roper, river navigation hazards, fishing spots etc.

Bitumen road all the way until short of Roper Bar. From there it can be a trailer killer at times. If a sign points something out, then take notice of it. They mean it.

We don't go to NT anymore since all of the cr.p about access permits etc started up a couple of years ago. Can't see that improving. Barra fishing good in Qld without the distances or the access uncertainty.

Thanks mate. I remember you talking about those trips. I guess from my point of view, travelling to new places that I've never been to, but always wanted to go, is all part of the experience. Who knows, I'll probably end up back at Weipa and surrounds :D :D