Blue Hole - Vernon Island's

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Jace32

Blue Hole - Vernon Island's

Post by Jace32 »

Going fishing on the weekend with a couple of mates to the Blue Hole and the Vernon Islands, have a few plots and places to go, however if anyone knows of any good spots around these areas.

Happy fishin' and drinking
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Blue Hole

Post by Matt Flynn »

Great place to go and explore - the Blue Holes usually have loads of queenfish and GTs with small reef fish like stripies and sometimes a good jack or two.

The mainland Blue Holes are an interesting place to be landlocked on a spring low tide but you have to be careful at the entrances as it is like a rapid at times.

Walking around on the rock reef is enjoyable at low tide but watch out for stonefish in the pools.

Don't really have any marks other than those in the Fish Finder book - just motor around for a look and fish any likely spots. The deep channels between islands and mainland fish well at the turn of tide for snapper and jewies at this time of year.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Mate
see my reports in the blue water section - last few times out there the fish were good in the channel between gunn point and the inner isalnd but the times before that we got macks and queenfish at the southern end of the channel between the outer islands - have put some marks in my reports in the bluewater forum.
take care out there as it gets pretty rough with a big tide if the wind and tide are opposing.

Good luck
shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
PeterT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PeterT »

Have stayed through the tides in the western blue hole on North West Island. Did some spearing. Fish seem to congregate on the northern edge and you need to track them down. Plenty of GTs etc, some jacks. Be ready for the turn of the tide and follow the trevs out it is fantastic. Poppers cast to the mangroves nearby that hole as you drift down the current produce some good results. But watch for sharks as we lost a heap of poppers to the bastards.

Make sure the following rising tide is big enough to get out.

pete
PeterT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PeterT »

Ps If the wind isn't too bad, I might see you ther. But I'm a bit over the wind, got our arses blown off in Darwin Harb, even in Woods yesterday arvo. 5 to 6 ft breaking waves only a boat length apart while heading out of woods.

pete