Buff Creek

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Buff Creek

Post by mac10 »

Hi all,

Went down to Buff Creek mid last week (a normal working day) to stick a couple of pots in and struggled trying to find enough space to put them. There must have been over 40 pots between the boat ramp and the end of the mangroves seaward. I launched as soon as i could get water under the boat so the others must have been there before the low.
Most pots were also unmarked.

I just wonder what someone can do with so many crabs? I only ever use 4 pots, although i own 8. I still manage to get at least 4 or so crabs in a couple of hours using only 4 pots. I ate 1 Buck the other night and it filled me up. I usually leave once i've got about 4 because that feeds me and the mrs for a couple of nights. I don't think i'd have any problem getting at least another couple with only 4 pots if i crabbed right up to the high tide if i wanted them.

Just wondering if your not selling your crabs, what on earth do you do with so many if you need 10 pots to catch them all?
Also I know Buff creek seems to be very resilient but really how much pressure can one creek sustain and for how long?

I went for a cruise up the creek after i laid my 4 pots and it was the same upstream as far as you could go, it looked like the creek had been surveyed with white pots every 10 metres both sides so you could find your way in the dark! They were so close together you couldn't even cast in between because you'd hook up rope!
I know people will disagree with me here but i think the quota for crabs pots should be reduced a bit. Just because we're lucky enough to have an awesome eco system that can support heavy fishing pressure to an extent i don't think it's a reason to fully exploit it.
Regards,
Mac.

Chris
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Did the pots have all the same markings? It sounds like a pro crabber might have worked the creek, which is illegal as Shoal Bay creeks are closed to pro crabbing.

But being the weekend it may have been a lot of recreational fishing pots.

Were there many boats about?
Silver Sovereign
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Silver Sovereign »

Buff creek is definately popular in the dry, the amount of grey nomads that are camped in the nearby caravan park with boats givean idea of how much impact it must be having on the fish and crab stocks. :bonk:

Buff creek is the closest ramp to my house so I often visit there to check tides or just to have a land based flick. I think this season is one of the busiest I have seen in 2 years.
I have also noticed that there are two boats that are always crabbing every day. Never fishing only crabbing. I have always wondered if they are on a exclusive crab diet :-? :bs:
They both are very annoying when trying to fish in the creek as they are alawys zooming past every few minutes, twice they have nearly crashed into me as they negotiate the blind bends to fast.

I know there are fishery police around but that is one creek that could do with a bit of visitation from them on a regular basis. I have never seen any in Darwin yet. I suppose they are a bit under staffed and resourced :P

I only visit Buff creek in the dry for rubber neck now, it is too busy, overfished and frustrating for a relaxing fish.

Bring back the wet, less wind and less crowds 8-)
If I had a quirky signature it would be here !
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

G'day Matt, It was actually mid week (wednesday i think) and when i first got there there were only 2 boats boats in the area.
About 10 of them were marked which i think probably belonged to a couple of older fellas in small boat near by. The rest of them in the area seaward of the ramp had no markings and i think by memory another boat through the channel after the tide came in enough and started pulling pots.There was another boat anchored near by with a couple of asian fellas in it who later started pulling pots too. I probably should have taken more note into it because i probably suspected commercial crabbing as well. The fact it was mid week, a lot of unmarked pots, and that i don't think the boats launched at Buff creek tends to look a bit suss to me. I might have it all wrong but i guess it pays to be vigilant.
A bit later in the tide a few more recreational boats put in and i think it was them that crabbed upstream. I think most of those pots were marked though, i cant really remember.
Chris
chezasnt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by chezasnt »

Unmarked pots every 10 metres. I'd suspect the grey army from the caravan park up the hill judging from the amount of tinnys in residence there at the moment. Here,here to reducing quota limits but they would probably not be policed enough to worry anybody.
Cheza
bandit

Post by bandit »

well i have a simalr story....

went to race horse on sat, we were first boat there..... got down stream and i found 17 pots all with identical ropes and floats with no names or ID on them.... hmmm... so i start taking fotos and some video of it all, waiting to see which boat dropped them off, having my suspicions as there was only on tied up near the ramp we waited..

ended up being 3 or 4 boats in there which is crazy!!!! all with heaps of pots... however we found out who had the 17 pots... and you guys should be ashamed of your self and in a position as yourselves should def know better... dunno if your on the forum or your mates are but we have fotos and video of your unmarked 17 pots!!! and you guys checking them... so!!!!!!!!! al i can say is :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

eat poop cause ive already contacted fisheries and they know who you are. you wanna be careful from here on out....

another thing that p...ed me off was about another 5 or 6 pots with no floats which we believed belonged to the same boat.

we still scored 9 crabs.... oh an caught some f-wit checking our pots. put a nice scratch and dint in the side of his boat when my tinny got stuck in gear :moon: :rofl:
bandit

Post by bandit »

just had another thought.........

am i allowed to post fotos of the boat and people in question on this forum??? if i am ill post em up for all to see!!!??!?!?!???
and the fotos arnt speculation its evidence, how bout i post the video of the 17 pots, you cant fake video!!!

name and shame i reckon!!!!! :fubird: :fubird: :fubird:
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

Good work Bandit,
I used to crab that creek last year and i remember seeing the same boat in there all the time with heaps and heaps of pots too. Never counted them but there was a hell of a lot more than 10 pots. It will be interesting to see your photo's because i wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy. I've also seen the same guy crabbing Buff day after day too.
I say stick the photo's/video on and let everyone know who they are, it's really only a small town up here and wouldn't take long for word to get around who the thieves are.
Chris
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It's great that you did that CB because that's the only way they are going to get caught - by proactive anglers reporting them or calling the police.

It's almost lawless along our coast and it is apparent some people are milking some waterways for all they are worth even close to Darwin.

I would suggest all FFF take photos and report the people that steal our fish and crabs and our kids' future prospects - you don't have to announce your good work on this forum, and it would be better to keep quiet to stop acts of revenge - but definitely give the cops the info they need to act.

On the water you can get on the mobile phone and at least tell the cops what is going on, they might show up if they get a good tip-off.

Police will collect unmarked pots - they are illegal fishing equipment. This only has to happen a couple of times and the illegal crabbers will lose money and give up.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

I have noticed a lot of the tourists just tying up their pots to trees with not floats or markers on them.
Bring in boat rego i reckon to pay for more fisheries to police these things, if i knew my money was going to new facilities and heavily policing places in the NT i'd be only happy to pay. They really need to do something up here, especially the daily! I have been up here 5 years and have only ever been checked once by the water police on the South Alligator. First time I have ever actually been excited about being checked!! :mrgreen:
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

your not wrong timbo i feel ya, the daly especially, i wonder how many of those southerners actually leave that place with the legal limit. During my last swing at sea i read of 3 cases in small articles of offenders in the cairns post or might have been the townsville bulletin, anyway caravaners were busted with loads of barra and other assortments stocked up in their freezers way over the legal limits. Two were found coming back from Karumba which is a hotspot this time of year for travellers and the other up north. Queensland are definitly on to it within their fishing conservation, it's clear stupidity to think you can get away with that kind of stunt over there. More surviellance needs to take place, its bl00dy un-australian :evil:
Image Image