Biggest barra?

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
2 brothers fishing
Seadog
Seadog

Biggest barra?

Post by 2 brothers fishing »

Was just wondering how big barra actually get? On Ifish they say they grow to 1.8m but the biggest ive heard f is 138cm. Any one got any photos or stories

mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Biggest barra?

Post by mippa »

dam barra are huge so do you want length or weight?
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Be interesting to see what the longest dam and saltwater fish ever caught has been.

I remember a 140cm (?) caught on square hooks and on front page of the nt news about 10 years ago.
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Aust record is 27.1kg, no length noted though.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

probably be those fat docile impoundment barra,no comparison to salties
mud.666
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mud.666 »

Its ALOT bigger than 27 kilo.
mud.666
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mud.666 »

I know of 3 barra caught over 60 pound.
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Some stuff -

THE world's fishing spotlight is set to shine on Lake Monduran, with possibly the biggest ever barramundi caught on rod and reel claimed there on Tuesday night.

Fishing from a kayak, Denis Harrold landed the monster fish, which tipped the scales at 44.6kg. It measured in at 135cm with a whopping girth of 107cm.

The Monduran fish broke the old world mark of 37.85kg – held since 1999 from Lake Tinaroo, in far north Queensland – by almost 7kg.

That was late 2010,

I know Alf Hogan has electro fished them out of Tinaroo at over 100lbs. A Fisheries officer (name escapes me atm Dom/Don Tuma/Tuna.. something like that) tells of barra back in the 60's when nylon nets were first introduced going 1.8 metres, they all disappeared within a couple of seasons.

The size limit factor for dam fish seems to be fatty liver issues so you don't here of them getting much longer than the mid 130cms.
Regards Dick
itsinmeblood
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by itsinmeblood »

Caught a few impoundment barra, don't listen to the naysayers, they go hard and dirty if you're fishing in the timber
I think the only differance is you never have them working the current against you
fish are skinny, the ocean is fat
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

Doh!
Last edited by Dick on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Dick
Dick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dick »

itsinmeblood wrote:Caught a few impoundment barra, don't listen to the naysayers, they go hard and dirty if you're fishing in the timber
I think the only difference is you never have them working the current against you
Agreed, though i'd suggest they are down on stamina just a tad compared to a wild fish but make up for it in the horse power they develop initially. First run is hard to stop when they put their mind to it. You've hooked a tractor not a Porsche.
Regards Dick
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Heard there was a few 130s caught out your way Dick not that long ago.....
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

Darwin Barra baise have a photo of a 140 caught at tommy cut about 8 years ago(if my metery serves me correctly). A few years back I got a 131 at shady that was about 30kg it bottomed out my 25kg scales before the fish was off the deck. (In a net)

Attached is photo from Darwin Barra base website of 140.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Biggest ive seen in the flesh was 133cm long, and a masive obiese 113cm around the guts, bottomed out 45kg scales, came from a FNQ dam, land based. I posted a pic of it here 5 or 6 years ago, was caught around 99/2000.
Cant remember the post but will have a look fot it, still have 2 really good photos of it.
biggeast wild(real barra) ive seen pics of was 143cm from cahils crossing, ladbased again, and it was an animal!
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I posted a pic of a 148 that mate Brett got but I don't have the pic on this new computer and would have to search for it
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present