Knots

temp
Seadog
Seadog

Knots

Post by temp »

Hi all,
I've just recently arrived in the Territory from Hobart and now living in the Katherine area. I'm knew to this Barra fishing caper and was wondering if I could get some help with knot tying. I'm using 20lb braid and 40lb Jinkai and believe the albright know is the best to use. i used to use the seven twist surgeons and uni knot in Tassie for bream and trout etc.
Does anyone have tying instructions for this knot.
I've got a 4.3mtr tinnie and if anyone wants to hook up for a fish please let me know.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wink: I look forward to watching this site grow as I'm sure it will, looks good.
Cheers
Craig

bear-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bear- »

Gday Craig,
The best way to learn the albright knot would be to purchase a copy of geoff wilsons knot books from your local fishing tackle store. The albright is the best knot for the size line you are using for barra IMO and is reasonably failsafe as long as it is tied properly, like they say practice makes perfect :wink:

BEAR
HUNTER/FISHER or FISHER/HUNTER depending on the time of year!
temp
Seadog
Seadog

Post by temp »

Bear,
Thanks mate, I will pick up a copy and get practicing while I'm waiting to go fishing.
Cheers
Craig
craig308-
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by craig308- »

gday craig
welcome aboard here is a link to a site
with a good page on knots
http://www.steelheader.net/knots/knots.htm
i am sure you will enjoy the territroy fishing
cheers craig
Echuca on the mighty murray
cheers craig
bear-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by bear- »

Thats a good site craig308 I glad you enlightened us mate!

cheers
BEAR
HUNTER/FISHER or FISHER/HUNTER depending on the time of year!
Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

Improved Allbright

Post by Matt Flynn- »

Try the improved Albright where you wind the line both up and down the loop before tightening it up. It is more reliable. All Albright knots are dangerous if not tied carefully - you can lose a good fish.
Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper
temp
Seadog
Seadog

Post by temp »

All Albright knots are dangerous if not tied carefully - you can lose a good fish.
The other tip I received today in at Rod n Rifle was to put some super glue on the knot to help strengthen it.

Is the Surgeons Knot okay to use or am I playing with fire?

Thanks for the welcome guys :wink:

Cheers
Craig
craig308-
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by craig308- »

bear check pm
cheers craig

Post by Guest »

Craig,
What do you do in Katherine? If you are keen to go for a fish get into Katherine outback disposal and see Kit Jolly and he should be able to give you some good tips and spots. Currently the water levels are to high and you have to work hard for the fish. We head down the Roper on a regular basis.

Cheers
John
temp
Seadog
Seadog

Post by temp »

John,
I work at the Air Base at Tindal. :wink:
I'll call in and see the guys next time I'm in Katherine and see whats going on.
I think the Roper will be an area that I will get to know pretty well. I reckon I'll concentrate on a couple of systems to try and learn the craft and then branch out from there and have a look around.
If you ever want to catch up for a fish just sen d me a PM and we'll see what we can arrange.
Cheers
Craig

Post by Guest »

Craig,
Even better still, Come and join the Tindal Fishing club. We meet on a Wednesday at 1630 and a Friday at 1430 at the Latham club. We have a monthly comp and the beer is always cold.

John
craig308-
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by craig308- »

john
is that the mark latham club
cheers craig
temp
Seadog
Seadog

Post by temp »

We meet on a Wednesday at 1630 and a Friday at 1430 at the Latham club. We have a monthly comp and the beer is always cold.
Except when the fridge doesn't work :wink:

I'll be there agin tomorrow arvo, just haven't joined up yet.

Cheers
Craig
Blinky-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Blinky- »

A couple of top spots along the Katherine are the mouth of the Hot Springs, just downstream from the big sandy area at Gallopin' Jacks and the bottom of the 50 Mile Hole. All hot spots when the river is at it's Dry Season level. The only places Ive found to be worth a look when it's in flood is Donkey Camp or right in the white water at Knotts.
I lived at Katherine for 9 years, out along Zimin Drive, used to nip down to the Low Level for a quick fish or swim after work most days.
Stop wishin'......Go fishin'!
Better still.....Take a kid fishin'!

Black DiamondRods Pro-Angler
http://www.blackdiamondrods.com/
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jay Burgess »

The Albright knot is tough and easy to tie. But like bear said, purchase a copy of Geoff Wilsons book in order to learn to tie it. It has good descriptions and pictures ;)