Any advice on travelling the Pilbara Coast

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Any advice on travelling the Pilbara Coast

Post by Dingo »

Hello all you Pilbara Fishos.

I am planning on heading over your way with the family for a week or 2 in my June, July hoilidays. I am going to visit my sister in Broome. I have done the Kimberleys and Cape Leveque last year when I had my Hilux, but as I now live on the Tiwis my car is on the Island. I was planning on just flying to my sisters and hanging out for a fortnight, but that will drive me nuts.

So i think I am going to hire a car and head south for a look to Karratha and maybe down to Coral Bay and Exmouth. I have never been that way and know nothing a bout the place, has anyone got any ideas on where to go, what to see, where to stay, where to camp, where to dangle a line.

Prob going to hire a car and camp a bit, and maybe the odd night in a cabin, I will be travelling with my wife and 22 month old and 2 month old, but they dont mind camping, well the 2 month old does not know that yet?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, DIngo

Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dingo, I was traveling around Oz a few years ago before I got to Darwin & fell in love with the place, so I've done pretty much the whole west coast.
The fishing over there is awsome but i had a tinny with me which made it a lot easier, there is still plenty of land bassed spots though.

The first spot is a place called Port Smith, a few hundred km south of broom. Nice friendly little caravan park their not far from the water. You can hire mud crab hooks from the office, get the good oil on where to go & just head out on low tide & hook yourself some muddies, its easy. We got about 8 crabs in an hour.

The next spot is a place called Cape Keraudren, about 150km north of Port Headland. The turn off is just past the Pardoo road house with a short drive in along a dirt which brings you to the southern end of 80 mile beach. you can either camp their on the beach or keep following the road to the boat ramp which is at the mouth of a big river. The coast here is all small rocky cliffs with heaps of pelagics about. We scored mackies & trevs trolling the rock island at the mouth of the river but I recon you could get them from the rocks
My mate & I found a reef about 2km down the coast 50 meters off the main land where two GT's on 1 lure was the norm, my mate Jade even managed three, 1 on each treble :o So if you meet someone with a boat get matey with them, the ranger said he saw a sail their once.

Just out of Karatha there is a place called Cleaverville which is a good spot to camp. On the Karatha side theirs a good creek to fish, we got plenty of jacks their.

Lastly I would have to recomend Yardy Creek which is on the west side of the Exmouth Cape. Buetiful spot with the creek to fish for jacks on the rock ledges & the beach or close reef for the trevs, macks, tuna & reefies. Their is also walking tracks that head up to Yardy Gorge where the veiw over the reef is awsome at sun set.

Their's heaps of great spots along there mate you'll have a great time. If you want any more info send me a PM & I'll give ya me number & we'll have a chat, gotta run.

Cheers bullet :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Jeez bullet, you got it all covered right there. :cheers: :cheers:
Only thing I might add is to leave plenty of time for the Exmouth/ Coral Bay area. Lovely spot with unlimited potential for fishing or snorkelling off the beach.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Dingo,

What they said! All that coast is tops.

Around Exmouth you can get into the top of Ningaloo national park, not a long drive from Exmouth town. There are a number of camp areas there, and heaps of low to the water head lands and beaches to fish off. But if you can get a small tinnie (should be other campers about that might need a deckie) you can just row your way over the coral, towing lures or checking out the huge corals all close to the beach. There is barrier reef around there too, any opening catches a fish, sometimes big.

Chris
PilbaraBrad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PilbaraBrad »

Gday Dingo

heaps to do, there is so much it is impossible to know where to start. Dampier karratha is typically blowing june july easterlies can be a pain in the bum however there are often breaks between the high pressure systems that dominate the charts tis time of year.

Another area worth a look is 40 mile south of karratha, great camping and beaches, close inshore reefs with heaps of trout etc, i would bring your mask snorkle and spear gun if you have one some majical ground down that way

agree with dodge, coral bay or exmouth is a must, lighthouse caravan park is a ripper of a joint in exxy, just got back fro there myself 10 days in heaven.

billfishing for blacks and sails is normal out of a tinny there mate. It is the closest point in australia to the continental shelf, three miles and you are there

if you want a bit more info mate, drop us a pm and ill give you my number, can share some good info with ya

cheers

Brad
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

if you headin as far south as exmouth and coral bay take your bow, plenty of goats around there :mrgreen: just get permission first :mrgreen:
bushie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by bushie »

Dingo, send me a pm on your exact travel dates when you know and we can meet up. Any excuse to go for a fish!
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dingo »

What can I say, This is what the forum is all about fantastic info by all, Your all legends

I am still unsure I on my plans, but with the info I have got from you guys, if I can get the funds together I am definately heading to the Pilbara.

I will let you know what happens when time gets closer, and Bushie I will definately look at hooking up if my plan comes together. I will PM you.

Dingo
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dingo »

Thanks for all your advice, my plans were originally to camp and fish down around Exmouth but that did not eventuate for various reasons, and that will hopefully happen next year. I hung out at Broome kicking back and then took my sisters car for few days and hit a few cabins. Ended up doing two nights at 80 mile caravan park and two nights at Point Samson, which are both worth a look. 80 mile had a good vibe about the place and clean and comfy cabins for only 90 bucks, and and I could quite have easily stayed there for longer, The beach was long with a heap of shells and there was plenty of no mads out with surf rods chasing threadfin. I did see some lucky people pick up some good size powertails, and there was one old bloke who caught a 1.20 metre long salmon aswell. Point Samson is a great spot for some fish and chips and a few beers and has great beaches for some some snorkelling and rock pools for the kids, and there was also plenty of boats heading out on the water. I had a break from fishing and did not even dangle a line, but i did head today as soon as I got home and had a ball, but that is another story.

If you are in Broome get to Matsos brewery and sample all the beers on the lsit, it is a great way to spend an afternoon. :drinking2:

I saw plenty of sun sets that is for sure, the photos below are of 80 mile beach, and just a good one of my son. Also I think my son is destined to be addicted to the fishing bug, He would not go to bed without his dog and his good old trusty tilsan lure. :lol:

Dingo :drinking1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muntzy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by muntzy »

Great photos mate, looks like you got a fisherman there. A skipper for dad in the not so distant future.
Broome is a good spot to chill out.
Cheers Muntzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a mans best friend,
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read!!
Fish'n Chick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fish'n Chick »

Dingo, that is a beaut photie of you and your little bloke. Oh what a feeling!
Mullaking
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Mullaking »

I reckon Toyota will pay money for that photo. :idea:
I only work to support my fishing habit

Opera Non Verba