Kimberly coast

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Tropical IV
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kimberly coast

Post by Tropical IV »

A mate of mine and I have had a bucket list trip planned for a few years now and we have set the middle of next for it to happen. Our plan is to tow a 6 mtr boat to Wyndham and boat from there to Derby over a month. Live in the boat sleep on the beaches and eat what we catch. We have started the planning process and trying to nut out some logistics and the such.

My question is, has anyone here done this or a similar trip in that region, if yes what was your itinerary like and how did you source fuel fresh water etc while out there.

We are doing it dry season next and will have a lot of prep time to ensure the boat and our plan is watertight..

Any feedback appreciated.

Tropical.

tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Kimberly coast

Post by tubbs »

Sounds awesome, will be watching this post with interest as I would love to do a similar trip
palaran
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by palaran »

Dry season = high SE winds
That whole coast will be exposed and wind will limit your movements.
You can organise fuel at places like Berkeley River resort, kalumburu, and there is a barge service that may help with locations.
Few fuel supplies on west side but names escape me presently but will pop up on other forums
Don't underestimate the tides and what water conditions they present especially with competing winds. Carry plenty of spare fuel and decent emergency communications
Don't camp on the waterline and don't swim with the crocs
Don't expect the fishing to be red hot
Carry full safety gear and be cautious
Best times really are just before dry season winds hit
Mate did Broome to Wyndham but over 3 months and spent plenty of time waiting for winds to die
LIFE EVOLVES ON THE EDGE
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Fuel available at Truscott too.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

There is a great article in one of the past Fish Life magazines that was out a few editions ago. I have it if you cant get one on their web site via back order
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
ccc
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ccc »

First time on this forum in a fair while.....good timing I guess. Check out a couple of trips I've done.

http://fishwrecked.com/forum/our-kimber ... april-2012

http://fishingterritory.com/pilbara-kim ... 26043.html

Cheers
tubbs
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tubbs »

Great write ups CCC. ive got a 5.8 Centre cab, similar set up really so its great to know it can be done. your info was really good
barra mick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by barra mick »

Thats is a magnificent read

Thank you !!
you have to have crack even if your just pissin in the wind
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

http://fishingterritory.com/post130152.html#p130152

here is one I did, going again july next year with new boat(ie more fuel), same part of coast will go to some spots I couldn't reach last time, doubtful bay, Walcott inlet.
that's after going from Darwin to broome by larger boat in april for a month & prior to west papua bass trip in oct
you will cop wind till you get around cape Londonderry, but then most of it should be offshore for the rest of the way
step out the distances very carefully & then double it for fuel needed, you will see so much you want to explore, prince regent falls for example is a 70Nm round trip from the entrance of George water , easy to go over 100 miles with a bit of exploring
will be trip of a lifetime whatever you do
cheers
Kimberlite
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Kimberlite »

Spent 10 years on that coast. Doing Derby to the Prince Regent next April (the 8th for 2 weeks what are you up to Chris??). The absolute best time is in April, you have the odd knockemdown but generally glass every day and fresh water is everywhere and the waterfalls are speccy. The SE trades start early May, you dont want to get caught between Wyndham and Londonderry is a SE.

What boat motor are you running?
www.seacodemarine.com.au

Aluminium welding, marine electrical, trailers and fishing...