Water pump question

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Water pump question

Post by theodosius »

Hi guys, ran my motor for the first time since christmas (baby born aroubd that time) and there's only a smallish stream out the tell tail. I replaced the impeller, and not much improvement. I've also run macs fluid through it and left it overnight. It is a yammie F80. If i run the hose to the hose fitting, the tell tail runs fine, it is only with the muffs on and the engine running that the stream is weak. Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keno

Re: Water pump question

Post by keno »

theodosius wrote:Hi guys, ran my motor for the first time since christmas (baby born aroubd that time) and there's only a smallish stream out the tell tail. I replaced the impeller, and not much improvement. I've also run macs fluid through it and left it overnight. It is a yammie F80. If i run the hose to the hose fitting, the tell tail runs fine, it is only with the muffs on and the engine running that the stream is weak. Any ideas?
Hello Theodosis, when I got my F70 I was advised never to use muffs. Only the hose method. Not sure why. I have used a big drum of water once that worked OK. Maybe the muffs don't give enough water where it is needed.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Thanks mate. Yeah, it has previously been OK, and the tell tail seems to be running hotter than usual
Sullo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Sullo »

Hi theo, my f40 wont pump real well on muffs
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

blowski
Seadog
Seadog

Post by blowski »

Switch the side you are running the muff on around, no kidding if the f100 I run doesn't have the water pumping into the right side the stream is weak, turn the muffs around and its strong. If all else fails drop it in the ocean if it pumps hard then obviously related to the muffs :)
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers blowski, I'll try that
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Yammies are cr.p on muffs , I've had 3 now and all the same yet I still do a 5 min flush then change to the
top hose with Desalt dispenser . Just never run the motor when off the muffs .
When I first got this 115hp I had a tub big enough to drop the leg in and run the Desalt that way but
have fitted a sports foil and need a new tub .

Just one thing to check also is the hose from the motor to the telltail outlet , Wasps and ants love building
nests in there when they sit for a while , run some heavy mono through it to clear any blockage.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Hey mate, I had a similar problem with my yammie 60hp even after the impeller was change. It had a good flow on the water but struggled on the hose. Someone told me to tap up the holes before grill and then run the motor on the hose.

I never tapped it but it bought the big rectangle muff and turn it on a angle so the corners covered the holes. It then worked perfectly like its on the water.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Thanks for the help guys. Ran fine when I took it to a ramp to test it, so the muffs are just stuffed. At least I now know how to remove a leg and change an impeller!!
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Nice one Theo. My Yammy 80 FS does the same. Nothing beats dropping the motor off in the drink for a run.
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Interesting thread, glad all good for you Theo

Cheers Craig
sharkbait
Seadog
Seadog

Post by sharkbait »

I always used to tape up the two small holes in front of the water pump inlet. Found a plastic tub from bunnings that would fit the bottom of the leg in and didn't have another problem with water flow.