Yellow waters

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Yellow waters

Post by mickkk »

Heading out to cooinda lodge for a night next weekend. Was thinking the boat may feel a little left out if I didn't take it along too.
But hav not been out there apart from doing the yellow water cruise about 6 years ago.

Whilst I'll take a few rods, and may have a trowl here or there. It would be more of a sight seeing day with the family. Won't be heading out at night, as I'm going out with a bigger group of mates, and will be at the bar.
I was told when booking that we can put in at home billabong and drive around.

Question for those in the know.

Is it worth taking the boat,
Is it pretty easy to get around?
Would it be easy to drop kids/ wife off and take others for a spin?
Any advice for areas to trowl would be good. With the kids, trowling is a bit easier than flicking.
Would leave darwin early sat, prob 8. And then leave cooinda around 2 or 3 on the Sunday.
I have a 5.6 m heavey boat, I'm assuming I would be able yo get around ok out there.
Any advice appreciated

fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Yellow waters

Post by fff1964 »

Lots of rain that way.............

PM sent
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

fff1964 wrote:Lots of rain that way.............

PM sent
Didn't receive anything fff?
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Mickkk, well worth taking a boat however I'm not sure if a 5.6m will be retrievalable from the lodge ramp (Home). When I was there in 2014 the ramp was naturale (dirt) and quite steep. The rain is another issue altogether.

Great spot; caught a a few Barra and a nice Toga off the jetty/pontoon which makes for a super easy family drop off.
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Hey mate, I fish there quite a bit. I have a heavy 5m Alloy and have no issues, I can get through .4 of water though... When I was there last week to get into Yellow Waters from home there was .6 over the inlet. This would be up at the moment.
If your taking the boat mainly for sight seeing, its probably a 10min trip from Home to Yellow going steady. NO CROCS, as I was saying I was there last week and there are no crocs so if thats what your after dont come out to Jabiru for a while, even the east and Cahills have nothing.
Heaps of colour change at Yellow at the moment and has been there for a while , I throw lures around more than trawl but thats just what I like doing. I can have a look at a couple spots worth a look if you like just PM me.
Worth having a flick from the bridges on the way also, they are all cranking! Magela is high and producing rats!
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Guys,
When you are talking(home) ramp or lodge ramp you are talking the one 50 metres from where the Yellow Water tourist cruises depart from?
Does that belong to Cooinda Lodge or is it a public ramp?, I was out there last dry season and I thought it was concrete?.I have a 5.6 quinny runabout I wouldn't mind cruising around those parts sometime soon.
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Re sent PM mate :bonk:
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Edo, I was talking about the small one next to the pontoon down the walkway from the Lodge. Not sure about the other one?
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I asked if its worth takingmy boat up when booking, and they said I can put at home billabong and access yellow waters. Are you not aloud to use the ramp at yellow waters even if you are staying at the lodge. Or would there be ander reason why it would be out of action?
BarneyRubble
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BarneyRubble »

Its closed, send me your email and Ill send you a google maps with some fishing spots and stuff