Cleaning ethanol gum

bbb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cleaning ethanol gum

Post by bbb »

Haven't used the boat in a few years and looks as though I'm up for a couple electric fuel pumps (both seized up with ethanol gum). Has anyone got any tips on how best to clean residue out of the fuel tank and fuel lines? Will av gas dissolve any ethanol gum in the tank and if I ran this through the motors (Yamaha F150's) will I damage them?
Thanks in advance.

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Cleaning ethanol gum

Post by dannett »

Ethanol is an alcohol so I would expect an alcohol based cleaner would dissolve the gum. Isopropyl alcohol cleaner or a $10 can of brake cleaner would probably be a good cheap method that is unlikely to cause any further damage.
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Probabley best to remove tank and lines and clean properly with it out of boat. Trying to run a cleaner through to get rid of a build up of poop will only push it through your lines and into motor, possibly clogging low/high pressure filters.
If you have to do pumps. You have to pull off vapour seperators so may as well continue right through to the tank, be a couple of hours extra work but you will have some piece of mind at least.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

bbb recommend you replace all the fuel lines as they get that honeycomb type gum in them and you will never get it all out. Take the tanks out and wash out as the guys suggest.

Cheers
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
bbb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bbb »

Thanks all, have pulled the vapor tank and injectors out of one of the motors (using the other as a template for when I put it back together!!!) main fuel line has been replaced, trying to get away without pulling out the tank if possible - underfloor aluminium 240ltrs was hoping to put an additive or something that would desolve the gum in the tank then fill up with fresh petrol and pump into old girls car!! good idea or not?
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Only way to do it properly is remove the tank. That way you know for certain whats going on in there
Should remove, degrease smash inside as much as you can with a pressure cleaner, blow out all lines and put it in the sun to dry. Its a pain but better then being stranded in the middle of nowhere
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Timely reminder here that for the minor financial advantage at the time ethanol fuel is just not worth it.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.