Cape Hotham 7/2/15

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Cape Hotham 7/2/15

Post by NT Wombat »

Headed up to Cape Hotham for the first time Saturday. Very impressed with the scenery I can see myself setting up camp on one of those beaches at some point. The plan to fish off the Cape itself went out the window as a storm passed just offshore turning the water off the Cape into a washing machine so we headed down to the Ruby island Jew hole for a few hours. Nothing big but half a dozen Snapper to 55cm and boat loads of Blue Salmon to about 65cm. A few little Ock Ock and a couple of small sharks as well. No jewies despite there being some nice big arches showing on the bottom of the hole. Couldnt keep a bait in the water for blue salmon, they were thick as. Even tried salmon fillet for bait and an extra small one as a livie but no luck. Passed a pod of 10 or Dugong on the way as well which was cool to see. Headed back towards Saltwater Arm and on the way trolled a bit of a reef edge off the western side of the Cape for a couple of small trevally and a 60cm Queenfish.

Forgot the camera so no pics. Gunn Pt road has plenty of potholes but no corrugations. Gets better after the Koolpinya station gates.

Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Cape Hotham 7/2/15

Post by Hemi »

Nice one... Good to hear plenty of hours getting clocked up on the boat mate..!!!

Bummer you forgot the camera thiu, as you said... Its impressive scenery!!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

I love heading around the other side of hotham, one of my favourite overnighters to do up here. Some good barra fishing in some of those creeks. Drifting the channel between those two drying reefs NE of ruby can be good fir goldies too.
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Cheers fellas. The boats nearly done more hours since I got it than it had when I brought it!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cool, never been out that way. 55cm goldies would make me pretty happy!
AJay
Seadog
Seadog

Post by AJay »

Yeah I bought a 4 year old boat with 17 hours on it about 4 months ago. Put over 50 on it since then not even fishing hard haha. I bought my last boat new and put 400 hours on it in 18 months, dont understand how there are so many boats that are years old with bugger all hours on them. Obviously situations change but surely its not that common.
bring_it_on
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bring_it_on »

We fished out there saturday as well wombat.Was that you we passed on our way out bout mid morning near the lighthouse???We were in that 4.8 stacer.Scored some nice goodies and missus caught biggest blue bone I've seen..was great day for weather especially on the big tides as it can get pretty ugly round the cape there…happy days
NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog

Post by NT Wombat »

Yep bring it on that was me. Your right about the weather it was spot on, just enough breeze to keep it a bit cool and good cloud cover. That was my first run out there but I'll be doing more and hopefully find a few more spots. Ajay my boat was 7 years old with 70 hours on it! Apparently the fella just had too many boats, what a problem.