New rod and reel combo

nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: New rod and reel combo

Post by nagz »

i have a few raiders that i got a few years back, they are ok, but i wouldnt buy another one. the first time i used my barra one was in sydney in the back yard when i was learning to use a bc reel before i came up here. i took the rod out of the rod bag, screwed the reel on and the front piece of cork grip broke into pieces. i didnt even do it up tight. i kept the rod, used it a couple weeks ago to catch my first barra, still works alright.
the loomis gl2 will be my next purchase i think

When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
Ben Jam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ben Jam »

I've heard mixed review on the new GLoomis, and that was from a shop who could of made an extra 100 bucks just by not saying anything when I went to the counter, they said they have had a heaps of issue's and put me onto wilson livefibre 6kg in stead.
----------------------------
-----------------------------
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

Hi there,

I do have a Revo Inshore, not for very long, but so far I really like it.
It is just personal taste, but I prefer to use it than my curado, most of the time.

But I am far of being an expert and it could be just the novelty effect...

Have a good day,
Pecheur
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hello

Maxpower is right about the Avid series St Croix priding they are 3 or below graphite rating. I've had 3 of differing line ratings but all SCR 3 series.. Good honest rod.

Also Loomis GL2 rods are good. Take a bit of pounding.

Anything with high modulus graphite rating is going to be brittle. The higher the rating (like Loomis gl3 or GLX or St Croix SCR 4 or 5) the lighter and more brittle they are.

U know, American Legacy Fishing site has a used rod section with some damned good buys. Cheap. Costs u about $80 freight for a single rod though. Buy a couple. I couldn't find a Loomis 756 (arguably best barra rod ever made) anywhere but got a used one in perfect condition for $115 on that site. Plus $80 freight made it $195. I was willing to pay more.

Wilson live fibre rods are made up in Australia using Killwell blanks from NZ. They're the mob who make texalium blanks. Good rods. Considering the curreny exchange rate they should be cheaper.

ABU Revo reels have a good drag system and are a breeze to cast with. I've had one for 3 years with no problem. Had some other types as long or longer with no problem either so 3 years use doesn't mean much. The real measure is how much work its had.

U can get a lemon with anything. Mate got a Shimano Calais DC which turned out to be a lemon. Mine still works ok.

Whatever the guides use most of tends to be a good yardstick. Curado was popular with guides but I think that's changed with the shift to Malaysia manufacturing.
Regards
Ronje
hingsy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hingsy »

Don't get a raider, spend the extra and get a gl2 or st croix. They start at about $135 in town for the st croix triumph. I have the old gl2 and the new one. The new one feels awesome in your hand, great for casting and tough as. Better off paying a little more for quality
Beagle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Beagle »

Got 2 St Croix last year from ths US.
1 x Triumph and 1 X Premier.
Local price for both $500, US price $270 including air frieght, insurance, taxes and delivered in 8 days.
Triumph $70, Premier $110, Frieght + extras $90
Great rods, both running Curado E5/G7.
I would buy local but just cannot justify it for the extra, extra bucks.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Barra Raider 621 model because it has proven itself, perfect match for Shimano Curado reel, upgraded with carbontex washers(about $9 from smoothdrag.com), and 30 pound braid.
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Check out the rods at KO tackle, 100 bucks get you a top rod.
Manton mad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Manton mad »

Anybody got the new pflueger salt combo pm me to tell what size an if its any good what pflueger rod comes with combo they look the goods
fishing is my addiction there is no cure
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I use to really love my loomis rods. I have had afew IMX, gl3 and crankbait. I over paying money for warranty on my IMX /GL3 which I have snapped afew. I dont rate them any more. I still love my Crankbait which is my all time flavourite.

I have bought a couple of St croix avids recently (5'8 and 5'10) . It's in the $350-400 bracket but how can you beat the non condition life time warranty. Awsome rods!

When I play a big fish on my loomis all I think about is how much it will cost me if I over load it. With my St Croix I love to push the rod to the limit with confidence it not going to cost me nothing to replace it.
maccatac
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by maccatac »

abu garcia barra magnum almost indestructible fitted with a shimano calcutta cant go wrong
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

NITRO rod's check em out, i own 5 NITRO's. i use em over my new GL2's and stuff that now don't get use
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

PM sent balou