Hotham Blues

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Hotham Blues

Post by Shane Doevy »

Went out to Hotham this morning taking advantage of a quiet tide and the lack of wind.
Trip over was not too bad - bit of a bumpy ride which slowed us a down a bit but was no drama - found 2 other boats already sitting right at the cape - i was first in from leeders so they may have been out overnight or come from darwin??
Fished the b spot from page 122 and just out in front of the cape itself and cleaned up on BIG blue salmon and some nice goldies - ended up catching about 30 salmon i reckon in varying sizes but there were some very good ones amongst them. Son Jordan seemed to be the one with the touch - he caught pretty much all of the goldies - best was a nice 50cm specimen. he didnt catch a shark all day either but Kyle and i got thumped by them all the time. It was funny really we would hook and land a heap of good ones then get smashed by sharks and loose all the gear then we were back into the good fish again. Awesome day - pretty much fishing action all day - really sparked on the turn of the tide around lunch time then it was running too much and we had to head home.
Some of the sharks were real thumpers and they get the heart running when you think it could be a jewie!! Kept a feed of salmon and goldies for the fridge - rest went back for the future. Despite loosing heaps of hooks we had one our better days on the blue water.
Trip back was great with the wind and tide together - imagine it would get real unpleansant out there if things turned tot he brown stuff but it was great today.
Road is OK - holding up alright - it is after all a dirt road but i thought it was ok.
Shane :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

well done Shane. :clap: Good to see you and the young fellows getting into it.

Nothing wrong with a feed of blues.

cheers 2rods
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Blues seem to be running rampant, I wonder where all the threadfin have gone. resturants probably. :|

nice work by the way Shaneo :smoking:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hotham

Post by Matt Flynn »

Another great report Shane and nice photos, well done - glad you had a good day on the water. :fishing:
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Thanks Matt
it is me who should be thanking you - i dont think i have ever been let down with your marks from the book mate - where ever i go as a new place i catch fish nine times out of ten at the fish finder marks so top marks for that. Talking about the book - when is the new issue due out? my current copy is very ratty - water damage etc - if the new is not far off i wont get a new one till the new book comes out but if its a way off i might have to invest in one.
I didnt think about it while i was out there but i reckon we could have caught fish by dropping rubbers as well - jordan caught a lot of his snapper by jigging his bait up and down - i reckon the blues and the snapper would have smashed a rubber - thats the trouble when you are an old time bait fisherman - must think about all the alternatives - didnt matter but it would have been fun to try.
I pretty keen to get out and do some serious blue water when this wind drops off - its what i bought the extreme for and i am so happy with it!! :clap:
Anyway its back to work for me tomorrow so the "honeymoon" period is over and its back to going away and less hours being run up on the motor - now that will be a positive - have clocked about 250 hours to date since collecting the boat on 8 June!! :shock:
Cheers
Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

salmon on rubbers

Post by flicker »

Shane , no doubt they would have taken rubbers, just need ones with enough weight to get down there Ihave only tried a few times but am keen to do more. heres a pick from yesterday.

cheers Flicker
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
you don't know if you don't give it a go