Barra nationals and Classic results?

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
Reece
Silver Member
Silver Member

Barra nationals and Classic results?

Post by Reece »

Hello all,

Just wanted to voice an opinion.

I love my barra fishing and i also love competitions as do a lot of others. The nationals and classic are undoubtedly the 2 biggest barra comps going around, I have friends who compete in these events every year and they are highlights of the fishing year.

My problem at the moment is i live in the pilbara and there have been no results posted from the competitions during the events. I realise that due to the remoteness that internet and or phone might be limited and the event organiser must be undertaking a huge effort just to get the competitions running smoothly, but there would be a lot of people who are not competing, who have friends that are, all over the country that would like to know how things are going during the competition.

I guess this is more of feedback for organisers as opposed to any sort of complaint as i hear nothing but good things from friends that compete in these events.

P.S unless someone can point me to where results are being posted??

Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Barra nationals and Classic results?

Post by Blinky »

Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fff1964 »

Give them a call, i jsut ring my mates that are fishing it?

Cheers
maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by maxpower »

Maybe they could look into a facebook type page in the future, like the footy clubs do to get up to date info/scores for people who are interested. Would only need to take a photo of the leaderboard and upload it each night. Would help promote the competitions even more as Im sure a lot of people would be interested.
wonderwobler
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wonderwobler »

One result that is apparent from the scores is the nationals must have anglers with greater skills than the classic.
For years the nationals have caught more fish than the classic and given the handicap of less than ideal tides to fish this year because of the date change the result speaks for itself.
pembo
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pembo »

I agree with you Reece.....
I'm in victoria and have friends fishing both comps..and had to ring families in darwin to get results.
The organising clubs need to do more for their sponsors and the public by having daily posts etc.
The biggest and best comps will fade if they are not promoted better.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I too would like to see results posted up the last night of the comps, so all people and the fishing media can have equal and timely access. The clubs are helpful but sometimes it takes a long time to get the information. But the organisers do have a lot on their plates, mostly thankless volunteer work too.
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

Results for the Barra Nationals will be up on http://www.palmerstongamefishing.com.au soon.

In a nutshell, over 2,000 scoring fish were caught, 17 of which were meteries, Shane Compaign took out Champion Angler, and his team won overall for the second year running. The boys are setting the bar pretty high, can they make it a hat trick in 2012?

Cheers
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin
Balls
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Balls »

G'day all

Reece, we have endeavoured to provide the comp information/results each night in the past & have encountered difficulties on site with server access & other issues, this year due to the number of photos being checked before the results were posted it was not practical & at the end of the day it is a huge task just maintaining the operational requirements for the comp to run smoothly for the competitors, we have taken feed back on board from both competitors, sponsors & independant parties, we are currently reviewing the club history & once completed the web site will go back on line & hopefully have a designated volunteer to maintain the site & also utilise it for all club history, general info, comp results etc, but like Matt said its a thankless task & it all kicks off again to prepare for 2012.

Matt, in all fareness to the club we extend an invitation to lots of media, a general response is their to busy to commit their time/resources etc, other info passed on a number of occasions hasn't been covered by the media & in some cases information I forwarded was then printed with incorrect info which then created more work for us to resolve, happy to look at options to come up with a working solution for aall parties.

Wonderwobler, the two comps are totally different from each other, generally the Barra Classic has 45 teams & the Nationals have 60 teams which generally equates to roughly 45 more anglers x 5 days x 10 hours fishing a day, this year I think they had 11 more teams which still equates to 33 more anglers x 5 days x 5 hours ( if your into maths work it out), the Barra Classic continue to support the Fisheries research tagging program & also photograph the fish for verification, strict marshalling of rules etc, so in a nut shell I wouldn't compare the numbers as a means to determine the skill levels, both comps have some very skilled anglers, both comps generate interest in fishing & promote the NT & the standard of fishing which we are all lucky to have access to, cheers Balls.
SCURVY DOG
Hedgedbets
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hedgedbets »

Ballsy I tried your maths theory, on my calculations bellow,
classic 1586 fish / 147 anglers = 10.7 fish each unless you want to count you out the day we seen you sleeping on the floor of the boat
nationals 2100 fish / 180 anglers = 11.6 fish each,

man wonderwobler must be correct about the quality of fisherman considering they found .9 of a fish each in the extended boundry to clear creek instead of moon billabong, the nationals fish to, and serously they must be awsome fishermen in the nats finding the extra meterys on spring tides at the Daly thats un heard of!!!!!

on a more interesting note what id like to know with the comps being so close together and the amount of fish caught between the 2 comps, I would be interested in how many of the fish caught in the Nationals where re-captures from the classic.

Do the nationals record tagged fish caught? or is it left up to the angler to do there own personal recording and information share with fisheries?
NT pirate
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NT pirate »

From what i know since the inception of the Nationals it has been very rare to catch more than 1 or 2 fish in the tournament that were caught and tagged in the Classic held prior. This info as well as other catch and size data is passed on by the organisers to fisheries each year.
Hedgedbets
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hedgedbets »

I was talking to a couple of the competitors from the nats last night that had only heard of 3 tagged fish being caught, considering the comps where 3 days apart and over 3600 fish caught between the 2 comps, it really says something about the quality and health of the daly.
Agent99
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Agent99 »

You can read a fairly detailed report on the 2011 Nationals at http://www.palmerstongamefishing.com.au ... ionals.asp . That has some of the important facts and figures, and pretty pics!

I will look into availability of more "stats" shortly
Thank heavens I moved to the Territory, everything I love is here!