Sail City 26/01/11

A 'kill' sticker for each metre-long barra posted ... PM your postal details to Matt Flynn.
Lumborghini
Seadog
Seadog

Sail City 26/01/11

Post by Lumborghini »

Hi Guys,
I am a new member on here and thought I would share with you my latest trip offshore, I have a 5.2m tinny so I try and take advantage of good conditions to get offshore whenever I can, this is one of those special occasions when everything fell into place.
One of the boys at work thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the Australia day holiday and take the thursday and friday off so we could head down to the south for a few days of barra fishing, I always check websites like buoyweater, willysweather and BOM just incase things are going to glass out and let me get offshore, It was monday at work and the reports from the south the previous weekend were miserable so I jumped on the net only to find there was going to be some excellent conditions on AUS day and the day after. Hmmmm Dundee - Pt Blaze - sail city for some reef fishing was just too tempting compared to trying to find barra in an over swolen river. I tried to talk my mate from work into coming to dundee but he had his heart set on Barra, So I lined up a couple of mates to head out with.
So we get to Dundee about 11am on Australia Day ready with gold can in hand to see if we can brain a few goldies overnight.
The weather was magic, so we backed the boat in cast net a few livies for the bait tank and took off at full noise towards Pt Blaze. there was absolutley no chop only huge rolling ground swell probably about 1.5 - 2m, the biggest I have seen up here.
so we get out to blaze and made a decision as the water was dirty and the weather was awesome that we just keep heading out to Sail City.. As we arrive the sun is shining there are a few birds working and the water is that magic blue/green colour, we anchor up and I drop a nice chunk of fresh squid to the bottom and as soon as it hit BAM my shimano Talica 10 filled with Finns 50lb braid makes a bit of a squeal and I am having the kinks pulled out of my arms by a 5-6kg trout. :D You little ripper first bait down up comes a trout. So i bled it and threw it in the tub only to find my leader was a bit messed up from the trout so I pulled out my stella on a monster mesh jig rod and dropped down an octo jig, same thing as soon as it got to the bottom WHACK up comes a Red Emperor, at this point I am shaking from excitement and the two mates on the boat with me are looking at me with absolute disgust as they had only pulled in a small tricky and a stripey. Back down goes the jig and again another smaller trout 2-3kg then a small mackeral then a big tricky then bitten off. I had to stop so I could have a beer it was by far the most explosive reef fishing I have ever done, As the afternoon rolled on we ended up with 6 trout, 4 red emperor, 1 huge Goldie (74cms) and a shartload of decent sized trickies. We fished into the night but only caught Tricky snapper one after the other. one of my mates got busted off 4 times in a row by sharks :fubird: so after a couple more gold cans :cheers: we all passed out on the floor of the boat to have another crack the next morning. At about 2:30 in the morning some W@nk%r decided to turn the wind on and it started to blow only what I can describe as 25-30kts, but that didn't dampen our spirits as we had an esky full of quality fish, and a good time was had by all.
My mate at work caught 1 rat barra at the south.. he was not real happy... :rofl: but I am sure will come out next time..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lumbo,

If i'm too drunk to walk I'll rock the party on crutches...
RUM-A-MUNDI
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Sail City 26/01/11

Post by RUM-A-MUNDI »

Top report Lumborghini :mrgreen: sounds like you guys had a great trip. nice pic of the trout 8)
moz
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Sail City 26/01/11

Post by moz »

Fantastic trip and report. You picked the window to get out there. Hmmm this weekend doesn't look too bad either.