Tides?

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jonesy-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tides?

Post by jonesy- »

Coming from Melbourne ,tides have little impact on the fishing compared to here.The tides down there are tiny in comparison. Generally it's concentrate on first light,last light or after dark when fishing the estuaries. In the bay,you always try and get one or two tide changes in a session,but overall I'm fairly oblivious to it all down there. Therefore it's a bit different up here trying to figure them out with the barra in the rivers. I'd be interested to know what you guys find the most successful tide ,and what your tactics are throughout the different stages?

The last couple of months the best fishing I have had has been at the very top of the tide and the first hour or two of the run out. Is this generally the best for barra in the rivers? The incoming tide has been ordinary generally,and even the bottom has been no good at all.I thought the bottom was the best? I know in shoal bay it's definetely the best.
It just seems as if I am waisting my time at the moment if I am not fishing the top and first of the run out.

Thanks for your help.

Matt Flynn-
Seadog
Seadog

tides

Post by Matt Flynn- »

It depends where you fish - there are some places which are best at the top of the tide for barra - such as the top of No. 6 Creek in Shoal Bay and Shady Camp's main barrage - but most spots are best on the last three hours of run out and first two of run in, roughly speaking.

Reef fishing is different, the turn of the tide is usually best.
Matt Flynn publishes the North Australian FISH FINDER biennial fishing map book and writes a weekly fishing report for Darwin's Sunday Territorian newspaper
Blinky-
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Blinky- »

I agree with Matt on this one, couple of hours either side of the low is when I find the most productive.
Stop wishin'......Go fishin'!
Better still.....Take a kid fishin'!

Black DiamondRods Pro-Angler
http://www.blackdiamondrods.com/
Jay Burgess
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: tides

Post by Jay Burgess »

Matt Flynn wrote:It depends where you fish - there are some places which are best at the top of the tide for barra - such as the top of No. 6 Creek in Shoal Bay and Shady Camp's main barrage - but most spots are best on the last three hours of run out and first two of run in, roughly speaking.

Reef fishing is different, the turn of the tide is usually best.
Agree with Matt there, it all depends on where you fish. Different places demand different conditions for a good session. Some creeks I fish around Karratha fish best at the bottom of the tide when there is minimal movement and water... while others fish better on the last couple of hours of the run out and the fish come off the bite when the tide slows down.

As for reef fishing, most spots I've ever fished fish best on the turn of the tide. I'm not sure whether it's because ithat's when the fish are most actively feeding or if it's because it's when you can get a good hold on the bottom?