big shark fishing

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Would you kill a large shark for the jaws

yes
14%
no
86%

Total votes: 120

john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

big shark fishing

Post by john d »

A mate wants a set of jaws to put over his bar.
Would you kill a large tiger or whaler just for the jaws.

maxpower
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: big shark fishing

Post by maxpower »

Nope. Doesnt interest me at all.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

If you can't eat it don't kill it.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

No.

This is worse than finning which in many cases supports low income families.

Taking fish is not a problem if it is to be eaten. Perhaps your friend does not like flake but there are numerous community support agencies who would appreciate the fillets if they were safely prepared (would need to talk to them first)

Somehow you got onto my list of pple who havent been posting...soz JD..must have been asleep as you have been here lol
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Sharks hate them they worry me more than crocs do and poop ya when they eat a good fish your fighting !!! Does anyone think sharks are mor abundant now that they used to be?? I'd take a big set for the jaws have to be big though !!
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Nah leave em alone....humans have caused enough unnecessary damage to the environment already
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
fergie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fergie »

Might have done it when I was a lot younger. Not now, let them live. I think its great when you get to see a large Tiger or Hammerhead cruising around. Although it gets the heart pumping when they are bigger than the boat.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

no, have seen it done a few years back though

we need the big ones to watch swimming around,

and have a bit of fun with trying to get your Mack past!!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

The Mediterranean Sea, says Francesco Ferretti, is “a very dangerous place for a shark.”

So dangerous that in the past two centuries, the shark population there has plummeted by more than 97 percent, according to a study by the graduate student, two colleagues at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia and an Italian researcher.

They based their conclusion on evidence scoured from an unusually wide variety of records, including documents drawn from universities and archives, from fish markets and recreational fishing clubs, and from local accounts of shark sightings.

The paper, co-authored with the late Dalhousie marine biologist Ransom A. Myers and others, is only the latest evidence that some of the oceans' most feared predators are themselves in dire danger.

Another team of scientists has shown in recent months that the peril is global, concluding that all but two of 21 species of open-ocean sharks and their cousins, the rays, are facing the risk of extinction. Another found that the decline of sharks at the top of the food chain is disrupting marine ecosystems around the globe.

“Sharks are just one part of the ocean's web of life,” said Margaret Bowman, who directs the nonprofit Lenfest Ocean Program, which helped fund all three studies. “But these studies show if you pull out that one thread, the whole web suffers.”

The shark researchers – from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and several European countries – are engaged in a huge detective project, much of it inspired by Myers, who pioneered the first global shark assessment before his death in late 2006.

Culling both unconventional and traditional sources such as fishing data, museum records and scientific studies, they are tracking not only how drastically sharks' numbers have dropped in recent decades but also how their disappearance is transforming the marine world.

Several factors help explain why the shark population has declined in the Mediterranean, Ferretti said in a telephone interview from his native Italy. Fishing vessels are targeting them to meet the Asian demand for shark-fin soup, while simultaneously trying to compensate for the fact that they have depleted other fisheries.

“Some fishers have decided to switch to sharks because they cannot make up their product with bony fish,” he said, noting that the presence of so many countries bordering the Mediterranean has contributed to the fishing pressure there.

“At these levels, these sharks can be considered functionally extinct, meaning that they cannot perform their role of top predators in the Mediterranean marine ecosystems anymore,” he said. Ferretti and his colleagues published their findings in the journal Conservation Biology.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Shark populations all over the world have plummeted because of intentional fishing for their fins, which are eaten and used for medicines in Asia, and "bycatch," in which sharks are accidentally caught when fishermen target other species.

For this study, published in the March 30 issue of the journal Science, the researchers looked at surveys of populations of 11 great shark species, conducted between 1970 and 2005. Every species had substantially declined in just those few decades.

The smallest observed decline was in sandbar shark populations, which had decreased nonetheless by 87 percent. Other species, including the bull, dusky and smooth hammerhead sharks, may have declined by more than 99 percent.

"They're all down dramatically," said study co-leader Charles Peterson of the University of North Carolina.

Two of the shark species studied have been Endangered Species Act candidates since 1997, but have yet to be added to the list, Baum said.

Domino effect

When one predator disappears from an ecosystem, others that eat the same prey usually take over and keep the balance of the ecosystem in check.

But in this case, where not one, but all, of the top predators are rapidly disappearing, "you lose the resiliency and buffering capacity of one species to step in for another," Peterson told LiveScience.

The loss of top predators has a domino effect on the rest of the ecosystem; populations of lower-level predators, such as rays, skates and smaller sharks, aren't kept in check, allowing them to overeat and wipe out their own prey.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

I reckon pic number four was taken after a few days at a spot ive been south west of south Peron!!!.
I hate sharks with a passion but that lot is a bit over the top even for me.
Bottom Bashing Bloke
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bottom Bashing Bloke »

DOUG wrote:Sharks hate them they worry me more than crocs do and poop ya when they eat a good fish your fighting !!! Does anyone think sharks are mor abundant now that they used to be?? I'd take a big set for the jaws have to be big though !!
down in victoria they were fishing off the beach for salmon and they kept gettin broken off. so they invested in some big gear and ended up catching small great whites. they eventually got fully into it doing tag and release for research and caught something like 11 sharks off that one beach and never caught the same one twice so go figure. If the babies are that plentiful how many big parent sharks are there?

and in regards to the question at hand yes i would but i wouldnt do it all the time, ive always wanted a decent set of jaws for my room but probs only take one set. But i enjoy the fight they give, except when u accidently hook them on handline lol

see link for the movie of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bc-Cv9C-E8
Last edited by Bottom Bashing Bloke on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

No
I used to hunt deer in Tassie, but they were feral and the does and fawns tasted great.
The big buck was solely for its rack.
I did feel sorry for the buck because it seemed a waste (and not even my dog would eat it)
I only ever the shot one buck
rodney
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rodney »

working in karratha at the moment in the local rag some bloke caught a 200+ tiger on 12kg line cant see why he killed it just for a photo and a jaw.my grandfather allways said only kill what you can eat.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Not ever. Sharks are needed in the water and not as trophy's on a wall. And that practice of shark finning just makes me feel sick to the bone