Are wet seasons happening later?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Are NT wet seasons happening later?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 26

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Are wet seasons happening later?

Post by Matt Flynn »

A question for the NT old timers who still have a few viable brain cells ...

I remember really good arvo storms regularly in October, 30 years ago. Now they don't seem to happen until much later.

And the wet seasons seem to push right into April/May.

Are wet seasons happening later? Or is the memory just playing tricks?

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Are wet seasons happening later?

Post by cuddlescooper »

I just think it has come to the part of the cycle that the rain is late. About 6 years ago I think we had three days of drizzle and windy conditions in mid to late may. I don't think that was a huge wet year either from memory.

I do think the storms miss Darwin a lot more now and Palmerston seems to cop it. Possibly something to do with greater heat from the buildings in the city ect. just my thoughts....

Have sat on the harbour all year and watched the storms hit palmy and go around Darwin and follow the coast to cox peninsular and Dundee area.
madkeen
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by madkeen »

I used to think the seasons were slowly creeping later and later but now I think it depends on the weather set up globally.

At the moment it is heading back towards a strong la nina. That means itll be wetter here, the stronger it is the wetter itll be. The japanese MET were predicting this burst a while ago and they got it right. They also are predicting it to be above average rainfall right until August ie a cr.p dry season if you like it cool. If this La nina gets alot stronger (which it looks as though it will) around Oct -Dec then it'll be a massive wet ala 2010. It is also responsible for flooding the east coast which will happen every year theres a strong la nina.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Bad days fishing is better than a good day at work!!!!
sheps
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by sheps »

When I was a kid it used to drizzle for 3 months non stop before the storms started. Would be at least 30 years since its done that.
Anglers Choice
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Anglers Choice »

I totally agree Matt.

I dont start booking "run off" fishing charters until the first two weeks in April. The run off used to start end of Feb - start of March..Having said that, I am still booking 'build up" fishing charters in November - start of December whereas we used to wrap up the fishing season at the end of October. Everything seems to have shifted back 6 or so weeks...

I think this has been the case fotr the lat 3 years...
Matt Flynn wrote:A question for the NT old timers who still have a few viable brain cells ...

I remember really good arvo storms regularly in October, 30 years ago. Now they don't seem to happen until much later.

And the wet seasons seem to push right into April/May.

Are wet seasons happening later? Or is the memory just playing tricks?
barratrooper1
Seadog
Seadog

Post by barratrooper1 »

Wet season prior to one just gone, started in Sept 12