Use of Marine Radios

pmck12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Use of Marine Radios

Post by pmck12 »

G'day Gents,

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed on the forum previously but I was keen to get peoples thoughts on it.

I've known for sometime that there is a requirement to have a certificate in proficiency for using marine radio's whether they be VHF, MHF or HF, either via a MROCP or MROVCP course. I haven't previously done this course but am looking at doing it in the near future.

My reason for basically doing the course is the recent purchase that I made of a Lowrance Link 8 VHF radio that has a number of features such as DSC and AIS.

For these features to work you require a MMSI which is obtained through AMSA. Unfortunately to be able to obtain this number you need to have the proficiency in one of the above courses.

Although there is no requirement by law to carry a marine radio, to me they offer a significant number of safety features specifically for vessels travelling offshore and especially with the features that come with modern day radios. 8)

I know there is very little that can be done regarding the laws surrounding the use of marine radios, however I was wondering if anyone else was under the assumption that the rules and regulations regarding the use and operation of marine radio's is to harsh and whether there is not enough emphasis on the requirements for marine radio's to be carried or used in vessels travelling offshore in particular. :?

If anyone is interested I queried the price of the MROCP course and was quoted $350. The course is 2 days and includes the certificate and test. I guess the good thing is there is no renewal requirements for this qualification ever. I say that tongue in cheek. :wink:

What gets me, is the cost of the course is about the same amount that I paid for the radio itself. :o

Keen to hear what people think of this issue.

Good fishing chaps.

Macka

nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Use of Marine Radios

Post by nomad »

Gday
it seems that using a radio in the NT is unterritorian compared to down sth where it is second nature to log in and out at just about every port
I find it very hard to get people to use them.
Probably because of the distances we travel but ive found on several occasions that there is no coverage whatsoever
Sometimes the Volunteer rescue mob will keep a listening watch so don't rely on them

The PGFC are talking about doing courses for members
Escape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Escape »

Good topic,

Im all for vhf to be made a requirement. I carry one in my boat at all times, why wouldnt you.... Its another safety device & you can catch up with your mates ( done properly of course).

AIS also is a wonderful thing, i guess not many people know enough about it !!
Im always checking ais to see whats about, the marinetraffic.com app is great for people to start using it & learning it.
You can also use MAIS on your iphone etc to create your own ais account.

As technology improves and prices drop all this stuff will become more common, its getting the government onboard thats the silly bit...
Still no rego or licensing.....enough said.
newfisherman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by newfisherman »

I think it is smart money to carry a marine Radio. If the worst happens and you set off your epirb, A radio will enable you to talk directly to the search and rescue aircraft that are sent to look for you. I have been on a number of EPIRB searches and it makes our job much easier if we can talk directly to you, to ascertain the nature of the emergency, for example, medical/mechanical/ sinking boat etc. I have been on searches were we have had to winch down a radio to the vessel so we can talk to you and it takes up valuable time and fuel for us to do this, so my view is a radio is an essential bit of safety gear that should be mandatory on all boats.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Exactly. why wouldnt you have safety equipment that could save your life
They only cost $300 for christs sake. Most spend that on a weekend for fuel alone
FWIW i lashed out and got a sat phone just in case.
pmck12
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pmck12 »

I would've thought that any government would be all over the safety aspect. If it was a work environment I'm sure that any WHS committee would be all over it.

As a minimum I would've thought it compulsory for any vessel above 5-5.2m that has the ability to travel 2Nm offshore have a working marine radio on board.

If this was to be the case I would hope that the government would provide some sort of funding towards the cost of the courses to reduce the price of that if it was to remain a requirement for operating a marine radio. Given that this is run by AMSA I can't see that changing.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I could be wrong but i dont think there is a requirement to carry a marine radio in nt waters. ill check
Escape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Escape »

Theres no requirement to have one for pleasure craft.

There is requirement to be certified if you are using a vhf thou..
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

yeah, crazy isnt it? :bonk:
its like saying that we know seat belts save lives but you dont need to install them
Darwinblue
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Darwinblue »

if you need to be certified to use them then why can anyone buy one and fit one??
Darwin Blue
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

2 different things completely
Anyone can buy a car and fit accessories to it - but you need a licence to drive it.
Darwinblue
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Darwinblue »

You reckon? Didn't need to get certified to have a bulbar, a tow bar, a snorkel, a tray liner, a nodding Elvis ..........
Darwin Blue
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Where can I get a nodding elvis
Darwinblue
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Darwinblue »

Graceland but make sure you gave your permit
Darwin Blue
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

I have a VK license through ACMA,is that enough to operate a marine radio
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present