'Leaking' Transponder

smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

'Leaking' Transponder

Post by smed »

I've got a Hummingbird 787c. Last year I first noticed that the transponder had dripped some black 'fluid' onto the guides on the trailer. Some time earlier (a week maybe) I had spent time loading waypoints whilst in the shed. Thought I must be a dick running it out of the water & put some sealant on to solve my incompetence.
This weekend, I noticed more black fluid has leaked past my sealant. It has only been run whilst in the water as I have been meticulous in terms of switching her off prior to leaving the water.
Has anyone had a similar problem, or know what might be happening???
Cheers

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: 'Leaking' Transponder

Post by Lats »

Smed, I have a Garman and when I turn mine on out of the water to use the GPS, the sounder doesnt turn on. Does the Hummingbird have this feature? Or are you sure the sounder runs no matter what?

Also, I had a small Hummingbird on my little boat. The transducer exploded on that and that black cr.p you are talking about went everywhere. As my little boat was in storage for a long time, I put it down to excessive heat but I could be wrong.
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

To be honest.... I don't know. Nice to know I'm not the only one that's seen it. I've been wondering about how hot she gets when on the burst & submergence. Having said that, I'm only across the harbour, not extended journeys. Don't know if it's normal, but I get mixed readings on the plane. I can go from 12m to 125m then back to 12m. I'm used to it & know that the lower reading is actual depth. This happens when (mostly) WOT or near enough.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Had a few lair bird transducers "leak"
Normaly due to heat.. Not being run out of the water (though this is a bad practice)

Never had it on other brand tranduciers but ??
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Been thinking more about this. The 'bird is not wired up to either switch panel. Simply slot her on, then turn her on, ie I don't need to press a button to provide power. I take the unit off prior to leaving the ramp. I generally don't turn the isolator switch off until I'm home & have flushed the motor.
Is there is still power running through the transducer even if the unit is not in position whilst the batteries are not isolated??
uniball
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by uniball »

Just be wary of the black shite that comes out of any electronics. Would almost bet that it is carcinogenic. I'd be cleaning it from a distance and replacing the transducer. Just a thought...
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Definitely will be replacing it. Still trying to work out the cause. I'm guessing heat is created through current when the isolator switch is on, though I'm not an boat/auto electrician.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Smed, mightt be worth sticking a multi-meter on it then to check...
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
skinny joel
Seadog
Seadog

Post by skinny joel »

didnt know they were filled with black goop.....
thought it just worked on a sonar bounce???
probably just made a fool of myself hahahahaha
human guppy
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

There will NOT be power to the transducer with the head unit turned off or if the head unit is removed..

Think you will find its just heat and age that killed it.. From what I have been told the black goo is the medium the lets the electronic bits pass there signal to the housing and thus the water.. A conductor if you like...

smed wrote:Been thinking more about this. The 'bird is not wired up to either switch panel. Simply slot her on, then turn her on, ie I don't need to press a button to provide power. I take the unit off prior to leaving the ramp. I generally don't turn the isolator switch off until I'm home & have flushed the motor.
Is there is still power running through the transducer even if the unit is not in position whilst the batteries are not isolated??
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

Cheers 2rods. I was hoping you'd be able to answer this.
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Smed, I spent a bit of time googling to try to find out exactly what that 'black goo' might be - plenty of people talking about leaks when they drilled holes in their hulls to fit a transducer, but absolutely nada so far on what is leaking out of the transducer. Just curious to know now. Anyone know what it is?
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

[quote="2rods"]There will NOT be power to the transducer with the head unit turned off or if the head unit is removed..

Think you will find its just heat and age that killed it.. From what I have been told the black goo is the medium the lets the electronic bits pass there signal to the housing and thus the water.. A conductor if you like...

I think you got It 2Rods :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I used to silicone them in to oil filled conduit on the inside of the dingies years ago. :cheers:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

Had the same problem with a Hummingbird on my boat .
Dont know what caused it or why it happened.
Took the whole thing off the boat and put a new Lowrance on .
As far as I can remember the sounder still worked ok.

Im putting it ( Humminbird) on my 3.4 tinny soon so I guess I will find out if its still good.

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .