Someone trying to scam me on Boatpoint

Tell us about boat ramp vandals, crab pot share farmers, and others who snatched your tackle.
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Someone trying to scam me on Boatpoint

Post by Brent Matthews »

I got this email complete with spelling mistakes and all from some clown trying to rip me off...its clearly written by a bot too, how stupid are some people. :lol:

One day if I ever get some time, I might apply a bit of reverse-scamology on some of these people.... I am surprised that they didn't tell me they were from the Nigerian Government :lol:

Hello Mate,
Thanks for your prompt e-mail. I hope the item is in good condition and i will really like to purchase it. Can i pay you $14,100 for the cost of the item so as to out beat other offer? i will be paying you with my credit card via my PayPal account,If my offer is accepted send me your email with PayPal including your phone # so i can pay in right away.I work on the sea and do not have much time around me. Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked by my agent,so no shipping included.I await your reply.
Collins.

Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

Brent, where's the scam :-? :-? It's not like there is money in your Paypal account he can access. I am a bit ignorant to these sort of things. Please explain :mrgreen:
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Funny people hey,

I once was selling a cruiser, and had it in the paper for 42k. A bloke rings up and offers me 40k, I say "mate yo havent seen it" He wants my address. So I give it then he says "give me your account details" I laughed and hung up.

Three days later there is a bloke with a tow truck and a bank cheque for the car, 41k.

I tell the towie to come back later, take the cheque bank it and pay $50 to get it cleared immediately. It clears. So I call the towie and tell him come and get it.

Bloke who bought it was from Karatha, bought it sight unseen, but gee I was sure he was dodgy. Probably was and probably still is, but hey, I sold the car.....

But I wouldnt be replying to that email....
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Yeah, the spelling mistakes and refering to the boat as 'item' were the give aways for me, and the big attachement from all the emails from boat point is a giveaway too... it reads

'Please be aware that there is a phishing scam running currently with some buyers only operating through their Pay Pal account. If the buyer advises that they do not have internet banking and have a pick up agent that requires a payment from you, then this is not a legitimate enquiry.'

But just to be sure I ran his email which was a phony, as was his phone number, the number didn't exist...

So my verdict... 100% scam. They should have a look at the BarraBeast/Matthews "Cure your yard of Meliodosis" Scam! :lol:
Cheers
BD

drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

cjgp wrote:Funny people hey,

I once was selling a cruiser, and had it in the paper for 42k. A bloke rings up and offers me 40k, I say "mate yo havent seen it" He wants my address. So I give it then he says "give me your account details" I laughed and hung up.

Three days later there is a bloke with a tow truck and a bank cheque for the car, 41k.

I tell the towie to come back later, take the cheque bank it and pay $50 to get it cleared immediately. It clears. So I call the towie and tell him come and get it.

Bloke who bought it was from Karatha, bought it sight unseen, but gee I was sure he was dodgy. Probably was and probably still is, but hey, I sold the car.....

Brent was there talk of giving the pickup agent money? I would have thought that he would have to give you money as per above
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Yep thats what they want you to think, and just a your all excited they ask you to cover the cost of the agent picking up the boat before they transfer any money to you. Apparently.
Cheers
BD

BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Someone trying to scam me on Boatpoint

Post by BarraBeast »

Brent Matthews wrote:
I work on the sea and do not have much time around me.
yeah i hate it when time gets all over you :roll: it's hard to wash off

yep that is totally bogus. what we could do Brent so advertise a GS Xtreme for sale and ship them down a 12 foot dingy with extreme stickers all over it.

We should all be mindful of what we email too. emails can be intercepted before the recipient get its, edited, then forwarded on. But you would have to be very high the threat list to the powers to be to be targeted.

anyway, hope that doesn't keep you up at night :grin:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

BE~AWARE this is not limited to Ebay, I have the wife's Laser on the Trading Post website for sale, got a text message through at 6.30 Sat morning that read,

"Just saw your ad on the tradingpost. I'm interested in the quick purchase of d car. Pls contact me on my personal email.
After reading your post on Friday night Brent the alrm bells started to ring straight away, So sent an email asking how soon he wanted the car and saying that I would need payment immediatly.
This morning I recieved the email I recieved the following response.

Hi Mate,
Thanks for the prompt response.
Unfortunately, I lost the direct link to the advert on tradingpost as a result of a mandatory system update which my computer did which required it to be automatically restarted. I will be very grateful if you could send me the direct link for the advert again or possibly send me the tradingpost's AdNumber as I will like to view the advert all over again.
Besides I will like to know if the car has had any mechanical faults or accidents in the past and I will be very glad to have more pix of it.
Do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give the car away as I am very interested in its quick sale.
Due to the nature of my work, I will not be able to travel out of the United kingdom to come for the inspection. I will however be needing your city, state and postal code so that I can forward it to my shipping agent here in the United Kingdom who will be coming over there for the inspection and shipping of the car.
Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon..
Millan

Of course I have responded straight away, NOT.

Billy
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
Milney
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Milney »

Here is another one from boatpoint i received on Monday.

Thanks for the mail,i will like to know the present condition of the boat and how much you are willing to sell it to me cos i am buying it as a birthday gift for the my uncle and i am out of town at the moment on missionary work as i am an evangelist and i really want it to be a
surprise for him,so i wont let him know anything about it until it gets delivered to him ,i am sure he will be very happy with it.I will pay you with my paypal account because i dont have access to my bank account as i dont have internet banking where i am here,i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the boat and pls if you dont have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after i have made the payment.

Thanks and God Bless.

Bruce.
You can never have enough Landcruiser's or Boats.
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

Some weird stuff was happenening when I inquired about a hilux in Brisbane

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.
The Hilux is still for sale and my last price is $12,000. It hasn't been involved in any accidents or incidents and it runs like new. I haven't experienced any mechanical/electrical problem with it and I have the service records. Also there are no loans on it.
I had to relocate to United Kingdom a couple of weeks ago but the car is still in Brisbane. I can't register it here and that is the only reason i am selling it. I could come there to meet you if you are a serious buyer, because traveling is easy for me.
Email me for any questions you may have.
Thank you,
Lisa.
P.S. I attached more info and pics.

2005 TOYOTA HILUX SR5 (4X4) KUN26R

Kilometres:
Engine:
3.0L / 4 Cyl DIESEL
Transmission:
Automatic

RWC: YES
Rego Exp: 10/10
Safety Cert: YES

Hi Lisa this car sounds like a great deal. When is a good time to arrange an inspection of this vehicle? I should be able to get someone to where the vehicle is this coming weekend. What suburb is it in so I can estimate travel times. Rgds Craig.

Hello,
We stayed only for a short time there, so i didn't really had someone to trust the car with and i had to garage it ( at the airport). I am sorry but i am the only one who has access to it. Traveling is not a problem because i work for Virgin Blue and i can meet you anytime this weekend.
Thank you,
Lisa.
P.S: I just moved into a new house and i didn't get a phone line installed yet, email works just fine with me. So please feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding the car.

This car was taken off the site the next day. I am not sure of the scam but the car was at least 15gs under market value.
Jules74
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jules74 »

we get emails at work from "Reverends" in "South Africa" who are on business in "the Bahamas" chasing tyres, for the poor impoverished children. Why orphans would want tyres instead of food & health care is beyond me but anyhow.

I always make the time to reply to them, usually quoting up to 10 times the RRP, and always stipulating that "due to unscrupulous persons attempting to gain products by deceipt, we do not accept credit card payment via email, you will be required to come into our office to make payment".

For some reason I never hear back from them. :grin:
Some people believe that the world is flat, carried through time on the backs of 4 elephants that are balanced on a turtle, the Great Atuin
jarrah jack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jarrah jack »

I joined one of the vic fishing forums and I got a private message a few days later from a chick in Africa saying that I sounded like a spunk and an honest person.(right on both counts actually) She wanted to send me a million dollars from her family's bank account and then wanted me to send all but 150k back to another account.

She wanted all my account details before she could proceed. I sent her a reply asking her to post a few pics of herself in swimming gear with fish on the site. I am still waiting for a reply,damit.