big bucks for Barra

Public and private club events - results and battle stories. And any other club news ...
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Im with you Jonesy only getting a bit better than 8/1 on your money and it's going to be a fifty horse race. And some of those thorough breds would be a bit good for this donkey. Just go race 1 no 4 at Darwin Dogs Friday night all up into Race 2 no 4 and you will collect a lot easier than chasing all this these high powered Skeeters up and Down the Daly.

Ghound

gammo42
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by gammo42 »

This is just my two cents, for what it is worth. And I have no knowledge of Tournament Fishing as I have never done it and I do not have visibility of all of the details of this tournament series. But I have just spent a couple of days researching tournaments because I would like to enter some in NQ next year - targeting impoundment Barra.

From my internet research - to enter one of the ABT Tournaments as a "Non-Boater" costs around $160 a tournament.(More for a boater and even more for a Pro) You get to fish and learn from someone else on both days and mix with some highly experienced fisho's. This is on top of the $50 ABT annual m'ship.

So, from reading previous responses in relation to this tournament series, the cost of entry for a team of 6 is $6000. I cannot confirm this from the linked article, but here is the maths. $6000 divided by 6 fisherpersons is $1000 each. If this is spread over 5 rounds it equates to around $200 per entrant. Very similar to entering one of the ABT Tournament series.

Happy to be educated, but maybe the cost of this is not too far out there?? Though it does sound extreme from an up front perspective.

I do like the fact that 40 of the teams have to be NT locals, you guys know your Barra fishing for sure.

Interesting stuff anyways,

Gammo
Yogi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Yogi »

the teams are made up of six people but three can only fish at one time so you have 3 reserves that can be used if you want or if some one cant fish a round.
Yogi

I Fish to get out of the house!!!
Yogi
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Yogi »

NT Barra Pro Series 2010 - Tournament Rules
The following rules shall apply to all tournaments except that:
(i) Rules may differ for special tournaments may change from those contained herin and
(ii) These rules may be changed by NT Pro Barra Series committee immediately upon notice to NT Pro Barra Series competitors which notice may be published on the NT Pro Barra Series website. Interpretation of these rules shall be left exclusively to the Tournament Director or His/Her designee at a tournament.
(iii) In the event of a rule violation, the Tournament Director or a rules committee may impose such sanctions, as deemed appropriate by them, including, without limitation, disqualification, and forfeiture of prizes, entry fees and prohibition from participation in subsequent tournaments.
(iv) Subject to the appeals process set forth below, the decision of the Tournament Director or his/her designee shall be final in all matters.
(v) Penalties for rules violations may include the following:
a) Reduction of competition hours as determined by the Tournament Director.
b) Loss of one or more fish in question, all such fish must be marked and verified by your team member via photographic evidence and or Marshall/Tournament official. If not verified the entire catch may be disqualified.
c) Loss of catch for the day of violation
d) Disqualification from the tournament in question
e) Disqualification from future Barra Pro Series events, which may be for a specific period of time or events or may be a lifetime disqualification.
f) Any different or additional penalties determined by the Tournament Director

1. PARTICIPANTS AND ELIGIBILITY:
(i) Participation in this tournament is by invitation only. This Tournament is only open to competitors over the age of 18 years; proof of age may be requested and presented at the discretion of the Tournament Director.
(ii) During official practice and competition days no competitor may operate a boat unless that competitor has documented proof of insurance, covering the boat being used within a tournament. Proof of insurance must be produced upon request and cover the competitor’s boat and team mates. Random checks may be conducted and any competitor who does not have proof of in-force insurance may be disqualified.
(iii) A properly completed and signed official entry form must be received by the NT Barra Pro Series Tournament Director on or before the application deadline date, unless the competitor has written dispensation from the Tournament Director.
(iv) The Tournament Director reserves the right to discontinue acceptance of applications prior to the deadline and also the right to extend the acceptance date.
(v) All participants will adhere to relevant local boating and fishing regulations, failure to abide may lead to disqualification.

2. ANGLER CODE OF CONDUCT:
(i) Anglers and partners of Anglers who are competing in the NT Pro Barra Series or any other associated sanctioned event shall observe this code of conduct and the applicable rules for the specific event in which they are participating. Anglers and or Partners shall at all times conduct themselves in a manner becoming of these basic sporting principles and in a manner that will not reflect unfavourably on the NT Barra Pro Series, its members, officers or representatives, tournaments or sponsors.
(ii) To this end, anglers shall use their best efforts to demonstrate professionalism and integrity in support of the sport of professional fishing. Any angler, and or partner of anglers, who violate any of the provisions of the Angler Code of Conduct, may be subject to fines, forfeiture of prizes and tournament winnings, suspension from competing as an individual in Barra Pro Series events, permanent ban from competition or any combination thereof deemed appropriate by the Barra Pro Series Management.
3. MEDIA COMMENTS, PUBLIC ATTACKS
(i) The favourable reputation of the Pro Barra Series in the sport of fishing, the integrity of its officials, and the reputation of its media properties are valuable assets and tangible benefits for the Barra Pro Series. Accordingly, it is an obligation of competitors and their partners to refrain from comments to the news media that unreasonably attack or disparage the integrity of tournaments, tournament officials, sponsors, fellow members, fellow anglers or the Barra Pro Series Organisation. Competitors and or partners are encouraged to express themselves and have the right to question the rules officials. Responsible expressions of legitimate disagreement with Barra Pro Series policies are encouraged as opposed to attacks upon the integrity of the rules and or officials. However public comments that an angler knows, or should reasonably know, will harm the reputation of the Barra Pro Series, officials or sponsors shall be considered conduct unbecoming a professional and will result in disciplinary action.
4. PRACTICE AND COMPETITION
(i) There will be no off limits periods for any tournament unless specified by the Tournament Director. Special off limits and practice periods for the Barra Pro Series will be announced by the Tournament Director of the Pro Barra Series.
(ii) Testing of engines etc after the weigh in each day is allowed only with the expressed permission of the Tournament Director. No Exceptions.
(iii) No Competitor may buy or barter a fishing location from any other competitor for use during any other competition day.
(iv) During official competition days of any tournament, a competitor may not use a CN radio, a VHF marine band radio, a mobile phone or any other type of communication device for the purpose of locating and catching fish. Competitors are permitted to transmit by radio or telephone only in the event of an emergency. If so equipped, competitors may listen to the marine band weather information.
(v) A designated tournament official must be granted access to the competitor’s boat at any time during any official practice or competition days. Failure to grant such access may result in immediate disqualification.
(vi) Each competitor agrees to report to the Tournament Director any violation or infraction of the rules. Failure to report violations or suggestions to another competitor that they may violate these rules or false verification of weigh in forms will be cause for disqualification.
(vii) By his/her signature on the official entry form, each competitor agrees to abide by all rules, regulations and direction by the Tournament Director and his/her officials.
(viii) The NT Pro Barra Series is an artificial lure tournament; no live bait is to be used. No Exceptions.
(ix) All hooks used in competition are to be barbless, and will be scrutinised by Marshalls upon request and must be made available to the Marshall immediately upon request, anglers found not to be using barbless hooks may be disqualified or have other penalties enforced.
(x) Leader material used must not exceed 1.5 times the length of the rod being used, if found to be longer penalties may be applied at the discretion of the Tournament Director.
(xi) All line used is to be 20lb braid as supplied by the tournament committee; no other line can or will be used. Backing is allowed but must not form than 20% of the line capacity. Failure to adhere to this rule is strict disqualification – no exceptions.
(xii) NT Barra Pro Series is a catch and release tournament, all fish caught will be photographed on an official measure board supplied by the NT Barra Pro Series Committee with the anglers Competitor ID in full view on the fish.
(xiii) NT Barra Pro Series has a NO KILL POLICY, no fish is to be killed in the course of this tournament, anglers found to have killed fish will be disqualified from the tournament.
5. REGISTRATION:
(i) Each competitor must be registered to compete in the tournament, and each angler must be part of a team.
(ii) Teams are to consist of a maximum of 6 people, 3 anglers – 3 reserve anglers
(iii) Three (3) people only are to fish any one tournament; all teams must submit their final team prior to entering the water to fish, failure to adhere to this rule will result in disqualification for the event in question.
(iv) All entry fees must be paid in full before the commencement of the first round of competition – no exceptions. If full payment is not received the team will not be eligible to fish and will forfeit all deposits to the NT Barra Pro Series and their position in the tournament will be offered to teams waiting for positions to compete in the competition.
(v) Entry Fee to the competition is $6,000.00
(vi) Upon acceptance a $2000.00 non refundable deposit is to be paid directly to the NT Barra Pro Series to secure your team place in the line up to compete.
(vii) The remaining balance of the fees are to be paid in full by the 28th of February 2010
(viii) Teams that are unable to pay the full amount by this time can arrange with the NT Barra Pro Series Committee to arrange a payment plan, a payment plan will incur an additional $250.00 administration fee charge.
(ix) Entry fees are strictly Non refundable.

6. SAFETY:
(i) Safe boat conduct must be observed at all times by tournament competitors.
(ii) Tournament Officials have the right to delay, shorten or cancel the start of an official tournament day because of bad weather or other factors that would endanger the safety of competitors.
(iii) NT Barra Pro Series reserve the right to impose boat speed limits on any or all tournaments. Whether or not to impose a speed limit, the area covered by the speed limit proposed shall be left exclusively to the discretion of the Tournament Director.
(iv) In the event of an emergency situation, competitors must alert tournament officials immediately to arrange emergency personnel to assist.
7. SPORTSMANSHIP:
(i) Competitors in the NT Pro Barra Series are expected to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation. Any infraction of these sporting fundamental sporting principles may be deemed cause for disqualification.
(ii) Maximum courtesy must be practised at all times, especially with regard to boating and angling in the vicinity of non competitors who may be on tournament waters. Any act of a competitor which reflects unfavourably upon efforts to promote fisheries conservation, clean waters, and courtesy shall be reason for disqualification.
(iii) All competitors are bound by the prevailing statutes and regulations of the various states that they may fish. Competitors are responsible for research of fishing and boating regulations.
8. TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT:
(i) Landing nets approved for the tournament series are of knotless type such as “Environet” this is to protect the fish as much as possible so they may be returned to the water in the best possible condition.
(ii) Lip Grippers such as Boga Grips are permitted but must not be used to tether fish, any competitor that is found to have tethered a fish during the competition will be disqualified.
(iii) Artificial lures are to be used exclusively, no live or dead or prepared bait is to be used during tournament fishing times
(iv) Only one rod per angler is to be used at any given time – no exceptions
(v) All Barramundi must be caught live and in a conventional sporting manner, anyone guilty of snatching or snagging visible fish will have his/her catch disqualified.
9. BOAT AND MOTOR:
(i) For the safety of all competitors all boats competing in the NT Pro Barra Series are to be in good, fully maintained condition.
(ii) Competitors must ensure that their individual boats are fully compliant with boating safety laws for the area that they are fishing in. It is the boat owners responsibility to ensure all laws are abided by.
10. PERMITTED FISHING LOCATIONS:
(i) Tournament waters shall be established by the Tournament Directors for each tournament. Each competitor must obtain this information from the NT Barra Pro Series Tournament Director at the pre competition briefing. It is the competitors responsibility to remain within the fishing waters as allocated, failure to adhere to this rule will result in disqualification.
11. COMPETITORS MUST REMAIN IN BOAT:
(i) During competition, competitors must not depart their boat to land fish or to make a boat more accessible to fishing waters. Boats must remain in tournament waters during competition hours.
(ii) Competitors must remain in their boat at all times except in case of emergency or with permission from the tournament director. In such an emergency, or with permission from the tournament director, competitors may be removed from their boat to either a boat operated by other competitors or a rescue boat as designated by the tournament director.
(iii) Toilet Breaks – competitors may leave the competitors boat for toilet breaks.
12. TIES:
In case of a team or individual tie, the following tie breakers will be used in the following order:
(i) Largest number of legal fish measured in competition hours
(ii) If the tie is not broken the next tiebreaker will be the largest measured fish caught during competition hours
(iii) If the tie is still not broken the 2nd largest measured fish caught during competition hours.
(iv) If the tie is still not broken by applying the above procedures, the tie will remain a tie and prizes and monitory rewards will be awarded in equal amounts between the tied teams or individuals.
13. APPEALS:
(i) An appeals committee will be established by the NT Pro Barra Series, which shall be comprised of one NT Barra Pro Series Employee and two other anglers that are not involved in the event in question.
(ii) Appeals must be sent in writing, within 7 days from the date of ruling, to the Tournament Director. If a competitor admits to a rule violation, he/she may not file an appeal of either the finding that he/she has violated the rules or the penalty imposed for the violation.
(iii) Decisions of the Appeals Committee shall be final.
14. WAIVER AND RELEASE:
(i) As a condition of participation in each tournament, each competitor must execute a waiver and release of liability and a name and likeness release.
Yogi

I Fish to get out of the house!!!
Capt Mud

NT Barra Pro Tournament

Post by Capt Mud »

Does anyone know who's behind this tournament?
I googled "Craig Jarvis" & found nothing.

Here's the proposed rounds:

Daly River – 22nd and 23rd of May
Mary River – 12th and 13th of June
South Alligator River – 10th and 11th of July
Victoria River – 14th and 15th of August
Darwin Harbour – 4th and 5th of September

Borroloola was mentioned in the NT News, so does that make Borroloola the location for the final?
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

A Barra fishing comp in the middle of the dry! :bonk:
Can't the southerners handle the heat? :fu:
Or are they just trying to get away from the cold, and have something to put on the telly when its too wet and cold for comps down south?
Surely it would be better to have it in the buildup and watch teams catching quality fish than watching them struggle through the dry?
Dory
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dory »

Hi All.
Call me a sceptic but can anyone answer these:
Who is Caig Jarvis?
The rules state there is more info on the Nt Pro Barra Serries webpage, can anyone find this web page? (I've Google and cant find any webpage)
$6000.00 per team of 6, $50000.00 in prize money, $2000.00 Deposit and balance paid by end of January 2010 seams high to me. considering the Nats and the Classic cost $4500.00 per team of 3 and for your entry fee you get full accom,meals,fuel plus more for the week, what do you get for your money with this comp?
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Dory wrote:Hi All.
Call me a sceptic but can anyone answer these:
considering the Nats and the Classic cost $4500.00 per team of 3 and for your entry fee you get full accom,meals,fuel plus more for the week, what do you get for your money with this comp?
Nothing at all compared to the nats/classic.
I think it covers breakfast and 1 dinner per event or something like that?

Pretty good money spinner if they can get 50 teams, lol.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

:jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Chasing big barra at the South in July is going to be a challenge
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

ghound wrote::jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Chasing big barra at the South in July is going to be a challenge
Yeh you know I was thinking about that, $10 says when they say the South they mean the billabongs around jabbers and not the south itself.
Just like where they say Mary River what they prolly mean is corrob.

Would be interesting to see their cut off points for each comp, etc.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

That s what I thought too NathanL. Have to laugh though I can see 50 boats full of tournament anglers at Bucket billabong or similar...
Capt Mud

Post by Capt Mud »

Even the billabongs will be hard work in July.

I know one local Traditional Owner doesn't bother before the end of August
Milney
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Milney »

You would hope old mate who is planning this comp would have his permits to fish Kakadu organised as i'm sure they wont be to impressed if he has 50 teams turn up for the weekend un anounced. Not sure but i reckon the Kakadu Klash is the only comp to be allowed to run in a national park in Austaralia.

Also i reckon they need to but a bit more effort into and they should be planning this now for next year not this year gives more opurtunity to advertise and for people to arrange teams as you most likley only going to get people who Fish the Nationals, Classia and the Klash.

but thats my 2 bobs worth.....
You can never have enough Landcruiser's or Boats.
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Dunno what's going on here, but:
1. Can't find the guy running it.
2. Can't find the website.
3. No reply to email.

Maybe I'm just not looking in all the right places.................................

Is it just me????

Just received a response to the email, complete with invitation and rules.
Last edited by Blinky on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
bandit

Post by bandit »

i enquired about it. got an email back with a rego form to fill out. i replied asking what you get for the 6000... answer?
pretty much nothing. entry to the comp, one breakfast and a ''showbag'' which i imagine includes ur 20lb braid..
NO fuel, accomodation and really food provided..
tossed up a few ideas with the fellas and this what we decided.. 6000 to enter.. plus.. each destination is approx 3 hours (except harbour) but vic is around 6 so we will work off 3 hours.. Time you pay for fuel for the 4x4, fuel for the boat, accomodation, food, other expenses along the way your starting to look at mega bucks. We put the figure up around 10,000 in total to fish the 6 events! pretty crazy really..
It also states somewhere in the rules you must have insurance? now i would be asking if that is just your general boat insurance most of us have OR some sort of public liabilty? which would prob add at least another 1000 bucks to the total... :|
Ive come to the conclusion that im not going to put in an expression of interest this year. Maybe next year but will have to see how it all pans out.. i smell a abit of the east timor comp here...
I have a team in the classic this year.. its pretty expensive to, but you get something like 90L of fuel a day, 3 meals a day and accomodation, so u add all that up and it substaintally brings the cost of entering down..

just my thoughts, cheers :drinking1: