Melville Trip

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
No Fish
Silver Member
Silver Member

Melville Trip

Post by No Fish »

Thinking of heading up to Melville Island soon but have not been there before, wondering if anyone has any helpfull hints. Normally fish the Vernons on the neaps and we do alright but would think you would need a bit of movment for over Melville? I have only just updated my 4.4stacer nomad to a 5m GS hydacraft so a whole new world of fishing opportunities has opened up. Was thinking of heading over to Robertson Creek then head up coast. I would be after barra and looking for a feed of Goldies my favorite and jewies, any hints on what to look for. I don't expect any secret spots just want to know what kind of stucture to look for? Great site Matt, hopefully I will be able to add some advice in the future when I break the drought.
Paul

Where are the fish?
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Port Hurd would be a good start(bathurst) all those escapee barra are still lurking there. I've fished Quanapurie bay(spelling?), the only creek there produces, and the Johnson(see spots marked in FF book at the mouth and also snagggy edges/mud flats as you enter first major creek on the right.)

Mate caught a 130cm there a few years ago(see front cover of 2002 edition of FF book). Never forget about this massive salmon I had on, mate went past in his boat and I was being cheeky, the line went 'piiink!!!' lost the fish and my mate p...ed him self laughing. Salmon was over a metre. :banghead:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

No Fish,

Keep me informed of when your looking to do a trip, never been there. Love to take a few days and explore the area. Hear the fishing over there is mad. i'll just try not to out fish you again. :rofl:

Timbo
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
Scotty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty »

A timely thread.

I have just returned from Port Hurd (late Tuesday). Left Darwin at 0500 Monday morning and headed to Cape Fourcroy with 4 other boats. The crossing was excellent with seas like glass all the way across. We stopped at Afghan Shoal for a quick fish and a rest after the 2 and a bit hour run. Moved onto the Reef area out from Cape Fourcroy, 1 in the FF book and picked up some nice reefies including a 4 kg snapper. Fished and trolled our way up to Cape Helvetius without to much success and the loss of a skirted lure to some sharp teeth.

We headed into Port Hurd and started to chase some barra. I have read and heard of people catching heaps of barra in a session but the next few hours were spent continuously catching and releasing barra from 50 to 70 cms, and I do mean continuously. We were trolling into the creek mouth about 100 mtrs and were hooking up a least 3 times each run, out and in. I have never experienced anything like it!! 2 Barra per lure happened twice. The lead boat did some filming, 8 minutes of film for 9 barra!!

We camped on the boats and got up early to have another go, same deal. We fish for a couple of hours, all 5 boats working the creek and hooking up. As Monday afternoon had got pretty windy we decided to head for home and fished Sth Gutter with the lead boat picking up some nice Mackerel and I lost a nice one at the boat. Doohh!!!

Onto Charles point then home getting out of the water around 5:30pm.

Travelled 334 kms and used about 180lts (still running in the 150 Susy), Now the proud owner of a worn out Barra Classis +3 Elton John colour, greens and golds worked well too.

It was a fantastic trip and I would recommend doing it. Travelling with other boats is the only way as it is a fair way across. All the boats were 5.5mtr to 7 mtr with 150's, one boat with twin 90's

Cheers

Scotty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scotty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty »

Some more photos: Barra tally was around the 50 mark for the two sessions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hurd

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice pix - glad you had a good trip, must get over there myself very shortly!
No Fish
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by No Fish »

Thanks BarraBeast and Scotty, looks like it was a great trip Scotty. Will try and head over soon will have to try and get some guys from work to come so we can take a couple of boats.
Paul
Where are the fish?