Ever caught a fish with a lost hook in its mouth?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 45

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Ever caught a fish with a lost hook in its mouth?

Post by Matt Flynn »

I did a few years ago - a small jewie at the Six Mile took my bait while it was hanging just a few feet under the boat while I was talking to someone. That was weird enough, but I pulled it in and it had a fairly fresh hook stuck in its mouth.
al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 »

yep caught quite a few here in the bay ,i laugh at the so called experts in the industry that cut the hook of release the fish and tell you that it will rust out in couple days ,thats bullshit as some i have caught the hooks have been in them a very long time even to the extent of skin growing back around shank ,and they arent stainless hooks ..the local breram on our peir must think they belong to the punk rockers scene they have so many peircings in them :):)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, they called the big groper at WA's Steep Point "jingles". I heard it was eventually speared, very sad.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

al57 wrote:yep caught quite a few here in the bay ,i laugh at the so called experts in the industry that cut the hook of release the fish and tell you that it will rust out in couple days ,thats bullshit as some i have caught the hooks have been in them a very long time even to the extent of skin growing back around shank ,and they arent stainless hooks ..the local breram on our peir must think they belong to the punk rockers scene they have so many peircings in them :):)
Think you will find a lot say that to try stop people from ripping out half fish guts trying to get a 50cent hook back . Seen lots do it get hook back with chunk of the fish hanging of it , with blood gushing all over the joint .
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

Caught a few like that over the years.

Funniest was pulling up a 70-80cm Cod near some rocks around Centre Island using dead mullet from the day before. It had 2 brand new lures hanging off it - score 8)
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Hi at mellville island at condor point a mob in a big boat rudely anchored in front of us at night and yelled and screamed all night. They buggered of at 6 am and we started fishing and caught a jew with a fresh hook in it. We pulled the anchor to leave and had a big jew hook line and sinker wrapped around it. Near dreaming waters we lost a barra with the lure in it and it kept jumping around us until it took another lure and we got it back.
tight lines
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I caught a small reef shark, had it thrashing next to the boat, by the time a reached for the pliers it busted the leader and get away with my hook. Not 30 seconds later the deckie was on, she pulled it up and had my hook in its mouth along with hers. Got them both back.

Week before, I got busted off and the fish must have managed to spit the hook. Deckie got a fish a s it must have swam over my rig and it got caught up on them. When she pulled it in it had my sinker one side hook the other.
They were filming for a 4wd show, and got both of it on film. I thought it was arsie as but it didn’t even make the episode.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I did go with a guide to a creek near Gove and he said knowingly, "not many people fish here".

Next cast I pulled in the biggest bird's nest of line and lures I've ever seen.
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

I fished in the Timor box pro fishing using hooks on a short trace with a shark clip, and you would get your shark clip back and no hook and trace. The next trip out to the same area you sometimes catch a couple of goldband with the hook in the mouth and the trace hanging out the water tight end. Caught some on other trips with a hook that’s been lost a short time earlier
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Yep plenty of times, best one was a nice sized Spanish Flag caught by the young feller a few years back, fit and healthy looking with a 6/0 long shank stainless through the top of it's back, had red around it as if it had been in there for quite a while, not sure how it ever got away lol, could've been swimming around for years. Managed to get the hook out and let the porr feller go, he took off.
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Yorkie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Yorkie »

Shark took my rig off Charles point, soon after caught same shark with my first hook in its gob. :D
trent
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by trent »

Caught a jew out off shady with big stainless circle hook with the crimped 200lb leader and what may have been part of a swivel still in the corner of its mouth, didnt stop him feeding, plus a tawny nurse out off Dundee with at least 2 other hooks plus mine hanging out his top lip
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Back in the day when 7 Jewie's was the bag limit we used to fish the "Jewie Farm" off Charles (now closed to fishing)
It was not unusual to pull em in with a couple hooks and sinkers hanging from their mouths ,, free tackle :catch:

Also caught a Spanish Mack that had a very expensive popper foul hooked in its tail , been in him for awhile .
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

No but I caught a dog shark once that some psycho had put a hair elastic around its head