Gulf Tidal Flats

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gulf Tidal Flats

Post by Saltboy »

Hi Guys

After some experienced advice. Am I correct in thinking that the low tide tidal flats around Weipa and to the north are not as severe as the ones south around Karumba etc?? I'm only going on from what I see on Google Earth so would appreciate some first hand experience. And off topic a bit, but should I be looking at booking accommodation at Weipa for Sept school holidays asap or is it not as big a concern as Karumba is that time of year?? I'm thinking 3 days at Weipa then up to Mapoon area for 4-5 days and then back to Weipa for a few days.

Thanks Dave

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Gulf Tidal Flats

Post by Matt Flynn »

Only need a tiny flat to get stuck ...

Tiz possible to get stuck on those southern flats for a week if you hit at the wrong time near the shoreline. Weipa and Mapoon have extensive flats, as does the estuary around Aurukun to the south.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

Matt Flynn wrote:Only need a tiny flat to get stuck ...

Tiz possible to get stuck on those southern flats for a week if you hit at the wrong time near the shoreline. Weipa and Mapoon have extensive flats, as does the estuary around Aurukun to the south.

Thanks mate
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

If you go there you see these weird spirals on the flats, I wasn't sure what they were at 1st but
I aw a craber planning through the mud/ sand. All you need is horse power
tight lines
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

There was actually a mud boat that was on sale designed to do that. Not exactly environmentally friendly.
Saltboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Saltboy »

Thanks. As it will be just me and 13 yo son, caution and common sense will prevail. I hope!!!! Tides look okay actually for the period and as its our first time there I'll be staying in channels until i have scoped place out. Dont want to put us, boat, motor or environment at risk.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

Take a spear with you, as the mud crabs can be speared as you walk along the edge of the channels
tight lines