Island Camping

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Island Camping

Post by Jeno »

nomad wrote:It’s a PITA but im sure you would be p...ed off if people came and stayed at your place and then left their poop everywhere.
Fishos have made the problem for themselves by not doing the right thing. its not only here, its just about everywhere except for Tassie where camping has been stopped. Have a look around the next camp spot and see all of the poop left around by those using the area. bl..dy terrible
Well Nomad...they do come and camp at my place without permission and they don't pay their way.....I live in Wulagi and periodically have "county men" come and camp in the Wulagi park/oval area....they don't make too much humbug but they do leave their rubbish everywhere and urinate and defecate in the park which is disgusting. The argument that fishermen or campers leave a mess just doesn't wash with me mate I am afraid....go and check any community if you want to see rubbish left around.....and I don't want to turn this into a racial argument either. Indigenous people have a right to the land....they are, can be, should be the owners of their traditional lands without a doubt....it is an issue of access mate! Firstly there already exists plenty of legislation and penalties that apply the problem is they are not enforced and the non enforcement is then stated as the system is not working and the solution is closure........please.....that's like saying people still speed despite the fact we have traffic penalties so we are now banning cars. Communities/TO's can clearly identify no go/sacred site area's with strict penalties applying and they could identify plenty of places where you could access......not just shut off millions of acres of bush as Aboriginal land.

Same goes for pastoral leases......in the Kimberly for example at the King Edward river camp area there is a "Day use" area and a camping area. The day use area is beautiful and shaded and the camping area is a flat dusty car park with coppers logs marking out where you can camp. When we asked the ranger why we couldn't camp in the much nicer day use area he said it was to protect the area environmentally......but the whole area is a shared agreement with a working cattle station and cattle where coming down and chopping up all the moss and native orchids and eroding the creek bank and muddying up the water....but I can't camp under a tree.......it is a puken sick joke on the tax payer.

No matter where you go, there you are!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I was talking about land owned by you.
I get the same where I live. cr.p everywhere after camping for the night
I’m saying that the rubbish thing isn’t just limited to the NT as Ive seen it everywhere around Aus.
I know communities usually have cr.p everywhere and it disappoints me too. But there are places that are only accessible by fishos and the amount of cr.p left around is amazing.
I agree that it would be great if the TO’s could get things sorted and let everyone have access - but that wont happen in my lifetime.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

this is the sort of stuff i was talking about.
recent rubbish pile from a popular nsw camping spot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Same goes for pastoral leases......in the Kimberly for example at the King Edward river camp area there is a "Day use" area and a camping area. The day use area is beautiful and shaded and the camping area is a flat dusty car park with coppers logs marking out where you can camp. When we asked the ranger why we couldn't camp in the much nicer day use area he said it was to protect the area environmentally......but the whole area is a shared agreement with a working cattle station and cattle where coming down and chopping up all the moss and native orchids and eroding the creek bank and muddying up the water....but I can't camp under a tree.......it is a puken sick joke on the tax payer.
Agreed, see this everywhere. sh..ty corral camp sites, I hate 'em.

Definition of hell ... being forced to camp in a small area with a load of other campers, with vehicles driving past your tent kicking up the dust.

Some places are OK, but in others you wonder why people have to be pushed so close together.

Unless you are in such a spot for a good reason, eg barramundi, why would you bother?
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

There are too many lazy pigs amongst us these days. I live on acreage in a dead end street at Howard Springs, not a week goes by without the ferals that obviously live further down than me throwing their McShit wrappers and paper bags out of the window. These lazy maggots couln't be more than 60 seconds from home yet they find it easier to wind down their window and toss their cr.p put instead of carrying it inside.

These are the pieces of cr.p that are ruining the campsites for all of us as they are doing exactly what they do every other day of their grubby lives.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Once a mate threw an empty can out of my car. I stopped and went back and told him to get out and pick it up. He refused for a while until he realised that I wasn’t going to drive off until he picked up his rubbish. Took about 10 mins of me arguing the point but he picked it up. Now he whinges about how much rubbish (mine) is in my car but he doesnt throw poop out anymore
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Which brings me to my question, where within a few hours of Darwin, can I take the family camping, have campfires (responsibly), maybe even the boat and do some fishing and crabbing, and not have to pay ridiculously overpriced fees/permits and be camped squashed up next to someone or groups of people in "designated" spots like your living in suburbia?
Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Scotty69 wrote:Which brings me to my question, where within a few hours of Darwin, can I take the family camping, have campfires (responsibly), maybe even the boat and do some fishing and crabbing, and not have to pay ridiculously overpriced fees/permits and be camped squashed up next to someone or groups of people in "designated" spots like your living in suburbia?
I like Keswick Point in Bynoe. Admittedly though, it can get busy at times.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

the beach at mandora. towards Charles point. Gunn point.. Dundee beach rhs of lodge
tight lines