Bare Sand Island camping

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bare Sand Island camping

Post by theodosius »

Hi guys,

Has anyone been out camping on Bare Sand? Where's the best spot to moor? Any tips on how to securely moor a boat (I've had one escape once on the South...). It's a 5m quinnie, so if it gets beached I can't push it.

Cheers,

Jack

mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Bare Sand Island camping

Post by mickkk »

I’m heading out there this weekend if you would like to think along. If not I’ll fill you in with the details.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Cheers Mickkk, sounds like the rest of the group isn't keen so might go another time. I'd love to hear how it goes
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

I have camped where the black arrow is, there is a deep Chanel on the black line, accessible at all tides.
The brown area is all drying reef, need about 3.5 to 4 m to scoot across there. It’s about 20 km to the island if high tide and can get over the reef. (From Keswick) or 30 kms if you have to go around to the front and in. About 33 kms from Dundee.
This weekend and last time it’s high at 6 at night and 6 in the morning ish. I like these tides as you can beech the boat at night on the high and can sleep like a baby till the morning high. Then I just anchor it up and far enough out and so it can swing around. Then just run a rope to the beech with a 2nd sand anchor. That way when you want to head out you just pull the boat around to you. (If that makes sense)
No fires, and if you are going turtle watching, use a red light. White lights can disturb the hatchlings or nesting turtles I’m told.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Watch out for crocs there, they do show up. And some cracker storms in the Build-up.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Wow, cheers Mickkk! All the info I needed! Group vote is Kakadu but will be dreaming of Bare Sand...
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

We generally would camp on the Western side (directly opposite Mick's arrow). Usually found it to be more protected from the wind and calmer sea, but I guess it's a seasonal thing.