Possible South Gutter expedition

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
Davi-D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Possible South Gutter expedition

Post by Davi-D »

Gday guys with the weather this weekend its looking like I might be able to get my little tub out to the south gutter. Will be my first time out that wide. Got any tips? I think there are 2 or 3 other boats heading there with me. Also if anyone has been there recently what did ya catch? pics would be good :naughty: Thanks in advance

dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Possible South Gutter expedition

Post by dannett »

Looks like this.
Unless a storm comes through. Then it looks like this.
Davi-D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Davi-D »

well looks like I'm gonna need a bigger boat :cheers:
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

storm risk seems low for Saturday and Sunday. I'm heading to the Vernon's from Darwin Sunday but like the pics if the clouds are building to the east, I'd be pulling the pick and heading back to shore, no where to hide out there. can't help you for spots, this is only my second trip past the harbour myself hence i'll try my luck up there chucking lures and jigs around while the tide is slack.
Bruce Simpson
197 Pioneer Sportfish - 175hp Honda.
Ex Sandgroper from Karratha
Member of KBGFC and DGFC.
Davi-D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Davi-D »

Im keeping an eye on the weather. any sign and Im off the list. But i'll be rigged for some trolling and jigs will be on the ready for a bit of bird action.

I went to the vernons a couple of weeks ago. coulnt have asked for a better day. Darwin was blowing 15 but the vernons was all glass. went around the north side to smith reef. plenty of action around there. im sure there are plenty of other spots around there but being my first trip I went with the advice i received from here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

Awesome! That's what I want to hear. I'll have some fun jigging and chucking some stick baits and poppers around then. hopefully get that first trip report in the bank.
Bruce Simpson
Davi-D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Davi-D »

:bow: We trolled around for something big got a couple of hits but nothing stuck. Had most of the fun chasing schools of bait fish getting smashed by all sorts of fish. Had lots of fun on the light gear. but you gotta be quicker than the sharks. I was lucky to not loose any jogs but my mate lost 4. found metal jogs to work best. erratic movement. had no luck on poppers or stick baits but as you now you gotta be prepared. ended up with a macky and a trout to take home.

Im hoping for the same kind of action this weekend out in the gutter. Hopefully find some birds and get to hook on to what ever is pushing the bait to the surface. fingers crossed!
Simmo83
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Simmo83 »

How did you go? I didn't get to the versions, the kids weren't keen on the driv so I didn't push my luck. Ended up around the top of Bynoe for zilch but the weather was spot on and the water would have been reasonably clear out at South Gutter.
Bruce Simpson
Davi-D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Davi-D »

I didnt get to the gutter either. My mates who were meant to go out that way changed their mind and went to dundee. Had my first crack out there and had a good start. ended up with a nice coral trout and my mate got an average mackie. My friend on another boat bagged a couple of mack tuna and a decent sized queeny.

Spewing you didnt have much luck out bynoe. I find the bynoe is about the same drive as leaders creek. well for me anyways. better luck next time though mate