5.5 to 6m Ally Boat - what would you buy?

rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 5.5 to 6m Ally Boat - what would you buy?

Post by rumluck »

You certainly are allowed to disagree with me old mate. Also I see where you are coming from. But to have a versitile tin boat that can poke up a shallow river and be stable you need less deadrise. Obviously you need a heap of deadrise to be smooth out in the blue. Trimtabs, in my opinion give you the ability to make a river/barra boat comfortable at sea. They are not be all and end all, just a cherry on top maybe.

Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Trim Tabs would be handy accessories to have, along with a Minn Kota. After having one fitted on my current boat i wouldnt own another without one. Thanks for everyones opinions, im going to check out everything and try and test drive as much as possible.
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Anyone own a Barcrusher? Theres a 5.6 on Gumtree at the moment in my orice bracket. Worth a look you think?
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Origin Boats - Axis Series.
Basstad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Basstad »

5.8 Origin Axis on Gumtree as new.........80k+ boat........advertised for 60k.
saltpeter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltpeter »

Hi again, I have an old work mate who had a 6 metre bar crusher, very wet, very unstable at rest but could punch through a chop like an arrow, due to the narrow hull, he ended up selling it and buying a 6 and a half trail craft and loves it.
I have a Noble Super vee and its reverse chine, just like other similar hulls, makes for a very dry ride, but it weighs enough to put off any thoughts of trips towing it to Daly or up Gunn point road, Ocean cylinders are the same and Formosa tomahawks are the sort of similar but hard to find second hand.
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Thanks Saltpeter, yeah i heard the the previous retailers of barcrushers dumped them because they were so wet, but you can take those rumors with a grain of sand. Im finding it difficult to find someone with a trailcraft to have a look at. The one ive been looking at is in Cairns and i dont really want to buy it without going for a run in one, even though the boat fits our needs perfectly.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I wouldn't say the Barcrusher is a VERY wet or Very unstable . They roll a lot more
than flatter hulled boats at rest and with certain wind and wave conditions they do
get a fair bit of spray over the back.
Mine is a 610 cuddy and dry as at the helm with the side clears on. Though I wouldn't
rate them as a family boat but fantastic for overnighters with the boys . Its a very safe
boat and have had it offshore in the real nasty stuff plenty of times .
So many things to think about when choosing a new rig and I don't think you'll find
one boat that is perfect for all types of conditions .
007_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Thanks Jeffish, i agree that you wont find anything suitable for all conditiins. Ideally id have 4 boats haha. Jonr was kind enough to show me his adams marine/heavy duty plate boats 5mtr this morning and i was impressed. Looked to be a very solid vessel with nice big deep sides. Ideally something like that would be nice in the 5.5 or 5.8, ill just have to weigh up the options to see what i can get for my dollar.
justlearning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by justlearning »

I Have a 5.8 Australian Built Noble Center Console you can have a look at if you want to compare boats.
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Would love to mate, pretty hard to find these aussie built Nobles, have you got a picture of it?
justlearning
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by justlearning »

yea i have some pics hows the best way to send them to you?
Jackh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Jackh »

Mobile number is 0429538977
Chubbs93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chubbs93 »

Hi I own a 6.1 Barcrusher center console, its still a wet boat but ive heard stabi ocean masters etc are all the same if you want a dry ride you need a cab, only thing ive noticed since owning crusher is that it cuts water smooth and doesnt pound anywhere close to my old topender ride is really smooth I find trim tabs a great advantage for leveling out boat when boats loaded up and when its rough you can use them to hold level easier cutting across chop, you will here people say that a 150hp motors to small for a 610 also but I think its scary fast with it on, it can do close to 75km with 4 blokes in it and with eskys etc it gets on plane easy. Shop around mate is the best advise id give anyone and dont rush your buy look around theres heaps of layouts etc
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Before the boat I have now I was on the band wagon of only put trim tabs on a bad boat. They were on the rebel that I have and having had them I wouldn't ever own a boat over 5+ meters without them , full stop. Especially if it only has one motor but even with twin 140s they are a must. Sure you can trim the engines different to push the bow over into the wind or slop on either beam but the trim tabs do it with ease and without noticeable interference to fuel flow plus you can keep the engines trimmed out for low drag good economy and push the bow down with the tabs. Plus if you have passengers who wander round like Browns cows not feeling the boat moving it is too easy to just straighten up the boat as they move about. They are 100% the best thing you can put on the transom after the engines IMO.