Sinker making.

Buy, sell and giveaway. Private sales and FFF sponsors only.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Sinker making.

Post by Once Bitten »

Fishos,

That time of year where I need to replenish the lead sinker bucket. This year I plan to make my own and need to source some cheap lead. Does anyone know where I can I can get some and know of anyone that wants to sell some old sinker moulds? I'm guessing that the dump shop and the scrap metal joint may be places to start looking. Any tips on making sinkers and which are the best for our conditions in the NT? :?

Thinking that making sinkers is a good excuse to get mates over, have a couple, and talk about all the fish we are potentially going to catch. :D

Cheers,
OB

... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Sinker making.

Post by jabsy »

Before my sinker moulds were "lost" I uset to get my lead from a plumber mate, he was removing it when doing roof repairs. He always had tons for me.
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Try any wreckers or tyre services. I work at a spare parts shop and we have buckets of wheel weights.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Before you dive in head first, google the dangers of lead poisoning. It can kill you unless done right.
Not worth the risk, just buy them from the sinkerman
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

As long as you have heaps of ventilation and wear a respirator you will be right
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

The scrap metel yard next to shady glen van park sold lead at $2.20 kg the last time i got some, last year.
Most of it is old flashing lead with paint and silastic on it so definatly melt it away from the house with plenty of ventilation.
Moulds are reasonably cheap from BCF.
I use a variety of moulds 8 and 12 oz snapper, large ball and bean sinker and a combo snapper sinker mould from 1 to 3 oz.
That covers all the sizes I use.
The only downside is new shiny sinkers tend to get biten of a lot more frequently on the reefs so i am trying storing them in a container of sea water to dull them quicker.
And you definatly make more with a beer in hand
rodney
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rodney »

Just go to the sinker man in Winnellie hes very cheap I dont worry about making them anymore take him your lead and he will knock the price right down, he has a stall at the Sunday rapid creek markets.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Sims metal near showgrounds like john d said we got 10kg for 20 odd bucks mate
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Thanks for the tips fellas. Speaking of the tip, does the shoal bay dump shop sell lead?

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

Not that I know of.

Tip, if using wheel weights, or any lead for that matter, smelt them all in a big pot then pour the lead into a muffin tray to create ingots which are more manageable. It's a hassle having the steel weight clips in the pot when trying to pour. I use one of those large spoons with holes in it to scoop out the clips. Also burns any rubbish off like rubber,oils,grease/stickers etc etc.

Also not all weights are lead.... you can sit there all day and watch some weights but they wont melt... You get to learn which ones are which.

Becareful having water around.... molten metal and water don't mix...

Another tip, but you will work this out yourself pretty quickly. Heat up the mold as you are melting the lead. Lead wont pour very well into a cold mold.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Heating the mould is a great idea. Thanks Fogazi. :mrgreen:

Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wagaman/ ... 1048832688

350kg of lead. Just over a $ a kilo without haggling..
mippa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mippa »

i found the best as to leave the moulds on the bbq hot plate and have a beer. lets the mould heat right up and the lead in the pot gets super hot. use welding gloves and handle the moulds and G clamp them together. hold over a bucket of water when you pour it too. pour it reasonably quick or it can dry and give you headaches. if it keeps drying during the pour and stuffing up let the moulds get hotter. once you've poured it you can drop the mould into the water to cool quicker. then u can grab any lead that spilt. as said above dont put the wet lead into the hot pot. it spits cr.p everywhere!!!! found out the hard way haha
the water gets hot after a few pours so keep changing it out too. good excuse to sink beers with a mate.
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Jeez, with 350kgs of lead I'd be able to supply all of FFF. I'd need a bl..dy great big pot to smelt that load!! I'll stick with a few kgs. Thanks anyway.

blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

Once Bitten wrote:Jeez, with 350kgs of lead I'd be able to supply all of FFF. I'd need a bl..dy great big pot to smelt that load!! I'll stick with a few kgs. Thanks anyway.
make em and sell em haha. Or buy it and resell for $2 a kg haha