tough mono ??

landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

tough mono ??

Post by landlocked »

last big trip away i thought i would give pen 10x i 20lb mono line a go and was not real happy with it fishing in the snags. it seemed to shread up easy.
what have other people had sucess with ? cheers

From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
BEAR
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BEAR »

Gday landlocked,
If thats your main line peel it off and spool up with some good 30ld braid mate :mrgreen: if it's your leader then go for some 60lb jinkai, back magic, sneider etc that should do the trick :idea:

BEAR
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

thanks for the tip bear but i prefer mono for the main line and use 50lbfor the leader [ when live baiting] use braid when lureing just ptrefer mono with bait. cheers
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

mono

Post by Matt Flynn »

I used Platypus mono with no problems, then I went to braid.

I've tried so many types of lines. If you want good but cheap leader material in 100m spools, try Schneider mono.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I used to use platypus pink before braid and it was great but I reckon you are on the money using mono for live baiting,for leader black magic or jinkai ,schnieder is much cheaper and majority of people use it but I find it a bit stiff.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

mono

Post by dodgyone »

You after main line or leader?
Main line I use mostly braid but used to use Platypus Platinum and was very happy with it. Still have it on a couple of reels. Quite thin and fairly low stretch as far as mono goes. Next to no memory. Also good around the snags. :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

have used schnieder for leaders since the dawn of time , just after a decent mono main line. thanks fellas.
back-cast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by back-cast »

..........i like "jack erskine" the flouro orange one it ties the best knots and seems to be very durable, i fished 4 kilo line for one week at the jessie river on melville and only lost one lure to a fish, but i hav'nt used it for about ten years, i'm not even sure if they still make it, but i supose you could ring erskine's tackle in cairns

:cheers: ........... :cheers: .................. :cheers: ............ :cheers: ................ :cheers: ............. :cheers:
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

line

Post by dodgyone »

Have used the Erskine as well. Still got some on a popper chucker setup with the flouro pink in 10kg. Accounted for a few nice macks. Not probs with that one. Think Got One had a couple of spools of it in their bargain bin. Might be worth a look. :cheers:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.