Spooling new reels

Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Spooling new reels

Post by Fogazi »

Hello,

I recently acquired 3 new 15-24kg big game reels/rods which all take around 500m of line.

What I was wanting to know is roughly how much do tackle stores charge to spool the reels for me and whether or not it would be cheaper to buy my own line and do it myself. Bearing in mind I'm lazy and would rather pay someone to do it rather than save $10 and have to wait for the line to arrive from Hong Kong etc

Does anyone know how much tackle stores charge?

And while I'm at it, what size and type of line should I whack on them???

Cheers for any info.

Fogazi

Sister Ed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Spooling new reels

Post by Sister Ed »

Ask the questions and get it done by F&O world, they buy in bulk and from my experience is cheaper (and easier) than doing oneself.
Fables
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fables »

Yeah mate, Like Sister Ed said.

Not only is it a sh1t load easier, it is usually cheaper to get it done at the shop because they buy massive (bulk) spools for this purpose. I regularly take reels I have purchased elsewhere into tackle shops to be re-spooled.
Fables
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Fables »

I meant to include that provided you buy the line there, any decent tackle shop will spool you up for free.
Paulus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Paulus »

Hi Guys a few things come into play here, a reel is not just a reel.
Looking about, you have bait casters and then spinning reels / thread line reels
I do see a few issues as to new reels verses re spooling used reels as far as spinning reels go.

A section from,,

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/Information.htm

Spooling up a Spinning reel.
If it has been spooled up before that is great as you would know that the line lays in the right place.
You may have seen the little plastic washers that come with a new reel, these are for adjusting the spools position, hence you can have more line on the front of the spool which is not what you want, you should have more at the back of the spool. This is to stop the problem of line wrap on the guides and so called wind knots.

Having said all that, if you buy a new reel in a shop and they spool it for you on an auto spooler,,,,
That is where the spool is taken off the reel then filled, you will never know if the line lays in the correct position.
That is you won't know until you start getting guide wrap and so called wind knots.
Wind it on yourself, look at where the line lays on the spool, a little more to the back.
You also need to put on the lower 2/3 at 1/3 the reels drag or the lines abs which ever is the lesser.

Spools on which the line is supplied are generally not loaded in such a way that you can put high drag pressure on them.
You can and will damage the line and maybe even the spool the spool.
Use a line spooler tensioner like this to create drag, simple to make at home.
You can put cloth tape on the inside of the tensioning spool, and under it to create more friction & drag.

A little copy and paste Guys
Paulus