alternative crab flavors

Show off your best recipes or grab one here and impress your partner.
wrangler
Silver Member
Silver Member

alternative crab flavors

Post by wrangler »

can anyone recommend a style of mudcrab that isnt chilli like a honey soy or something would be much appreciated got relatives coming from down south and they cant handle the heat of chilli ;)

failing over and over again is just the first step to being successful
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: alternative crab flavors

Post by olfart »

one bowl..fill with cornwells brown vinegar..stir in 2 blocks palm sugar..teaspoon of salt..teaspoon of white pepper. Cook crabs. dip meat in bowl and munch..Good crusty bread with real butter. Simple but oh so nice.
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Steamed with ginger and shallots.
Break crabs up, place into pot with 10mm of cold water.
Throw some chopped ginger in (fresh is best).
On high heat for about 10 minutes. lid on

In a cup mix equal parts of oyster sauce and water , 1 tsp of garlic and 1 tbl spon of cornflour.
pour cup mix in with fresh chopped spring onions, with lid off whilst boiling.
Cook for a futher 2/3 minutes.

Add more water if needed as cornflour may get to thick. Sauce should stick like hunny.
Kitchen should smell good about now. Allow to rest for a minute or 2 before serving.
Good judgement is learnt through experience.
Experience is learnt through bad judgement.
BlueyNT
Seadog
Seadog

Post by BlueyNT »

Ginger and shallots is good , so is chilli crab , but most times I just like to woof em down ah la natural ,bit of salt pepper and vinegar.

Kev.
I'm not young enough to know every thing .
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Hi Wrangler,

I'm going to sound like a complete weirdo with this recipe but it is beautiful.

In a big pot, chuck in cider - Strongbow original is my poison of choice, shallots, ginger and garlic. Bring to the boil and chuck your crab pieces in and put the lid on. Leave it for 7 minutes and chuck in cream and whole mustard from the jar and mix, then leave to boil again for 3 more minutes.

:chef1: :chef1: :chef1: YUM :chef2:

The taste is quite different but very nice.

:cheers:

JQ
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
xray

Post by xray »

i seen someone cooking fish with crumbed salt and viniger chips .......wonder how that would taste
Greybeard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Greybeard »

My Thai missus makes a mean curry crab dish without any chilli Measurements per 2 crabs. 3 Tbsp cooking oil ,
2 Tbsp oyster sauce , 1 Tbsp fish sauce ,4 Tbsp curry powder , Juiice half lemon , half cup fish stock ,half cup water , 4 cloves garlic , sliver of ginger ,2 Tbsp tamarind paste ,two eggs beaten .
In a wok heat oil & fry off garlic , ginger & curry powder.
Add Crab peices stir fry 2 mins
Add all suaces ,lemon juice ,stock ,water, tamarind , cover & steam 7 minutes ,
Remove lid and add beaten egg , stir fry another 3 mins .
Remove from heat garnish with chopped shallots

They will be lining up for more .Happy Eating .
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

Hey Greybeard, what curry powder?
GoodLookinPete
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by GoodLookinPete »

xray wrote:i seen someone cooking fish with crumbed salt and viniger chips .......wonder how that would taste

A little salty with an acidic after taste I would suggest.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

use 2 crabs cleaned and broken up.

half a red capsicum chopped into slices
One medium onoin
10cm ginger finley chooped or grated
1 clove garlic finley chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesamee oil
2 teaspoon canola oil
Spalsh of sweet sherry
2 tablespoons corn flour
8 shallots chopped to 1cm pieces
1 1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup "trident" sweet chilli sauce optional as it has a little kick. can very amount to taste.

Place oil and sessame oil in pot to get hot. Brown ginger and garlic. Add crab to cook for 3 minutes stiring occasionally. Add the onoin, capsicum sherry, 1 cup of water, sugar, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and cook for a couple of minutes stiring occasionally. mix corn flour with the remaining water and add to mix. cook for a further 10 minutes on simmer. Serve on a bed of rice to absorb sauce. Good on the day or better to refridgerate and eat the next day when the sauce has marinated the crab better.

also make a great resoto whith the sauce cooked into the rice. Just add more water and simmer untill absorbed into the rice. Add 250-500g cooked prawns
notsolucky
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by notsolucky »

I tried a version of Greybeard's recipe and it was awesome! I don't have a Thai wife so it probably wasn't nearly as tasty but I got away with just using a few tablespoons of yellow curry straight out of the jar. Add a tin of coconut milk, throw in the cleaned crab (shells cracked) and simmer the lot for 10mins. I can't handle chilli either but i reckon if I could i would be trying a green and red curry version also.
Visit us at www.flickandflyjournal.com for fishing articles, tips and recipies from across oz
nikoniko
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nikoniko »

I tried the salt and vingegar chip thing, and I reckon it tasted like salt and vinegar chips and fish :bonk: :bonk:
Greybeard
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Greybeard »

GoodLookinPete wrote:Hey Greybeard, what curry powder?
Hey GoodlookinPete , the curry pwder is the "Clive Of India brand",can get it at woolies,coles etc.. it has the spice without the heat ,

Cheers .