First Kingfish

Rumour has it that some FFF members are spearos. It's time to come out of the closet.
kahawai kevin
Silver Member
Silver Member

First Kingfish

Post by kahawai kevin »

Have mean meaning to post this for ages..... oh well..... finally got 'round to it.
Had a trip to NZ earlier this year with the family and thought I'd take the gear with me on the off-chance of getting into the water.
Managed to snag a day out from Whangaroa harbour in the far north of the North Island.
Headed out to the tip of a small island just north of the Cavalli islands (where the Rainbow Warrior is now a popular dive site), and jumped into the frigid water. Vis was about 20 ft so not great but at least better than my usual shore dives at Nightcliff!!
Was really snooping around hoping to find a snapper or even a few crays. Wasn't having much luck, (and was starting to get cold), so headed out from the shore to where the current was running past when this 13kg kingy came in to have a look.
I wasn't going to pass that up and gave it both rubbers.
Kingfish.jpg
To say I was excited was an understatement and after a short battle I subdued the beast and there were cheers heard for miles.
Gotcha.jpg
Got it smoked at a local fish shop which was awesome.
Never got to see any snapper but did manage to find some good crays at another spot on the way home, all in all was a pretty successful day.
Crayfish.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live each day as if it were your last.
Faulksy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: First Kingfish

Post by Faulksy »

Nice work. Those crays look very tasty. Whangaroa/Cavalis are an awesome place.

Cheers Pete
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

Very impressive KK 8) 8) 8) Lookin at those crays makin me damn hungry :chef2:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »