Post by ccc »

Hi All

What outfit do you use when fishing for Black Jew?Also what pound line

Scamper
Seadog
Seadog

Jew fish rig

Post by Scamper »

I've found over the years that 2 rigs have been more successful than others.
1) 50 lb leader to a swivel and further 40cm to your sinker. From the swivel another 50lb at 60cm to a no. 6 hook. Reason for this, when the current is running your hook swings in the current. Secondly when the current is not running your hook and bait is on the bottom. I find the jews like to pick from the bottom, feeding at this time.

2) 50lb leader again with a running sinker, swivel and about 120cm leader or greater to no. 6 hook. Good for sandy bottoms, and allows the bait to swing in the current.
Bait has to be fresh, usuallt pilchards and squid, fresh p o w e r t a i l is also good.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

any decent o/head reel matched to rod of choice (doesnt have to be expensive) I fish 50lb braid with a 70lb Hawian clip on the end and to this I clip a Patternoster setup(50lb) of which I have heaps made up ready to go,just have a small loop in one end to go on the Hawian clip ,one or 2 droppers and a loop at the bottom for a sinker, if a shark bites you off just grab another rig and clip it on and dont frig around with doubles it just something else to go wrong :mrgreen:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I find jewie to be very clean fighters so you I try to fish as light as possible to increase hook up rate.

On open reefs I use 30lb mainline 40lb leader on a clip and patternoster rig as well.

On wrecks I use 50lb main and 80-100lb leader just to pull them away from the structure after initial hook up.

I use a saltiga 30t but found that the saltist to be extremely great value for a third of the price. Any good quality over head will do the job.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

shimano bait runner 4500 with a rod to match. you can then use it to flick out some chrome at macks and tuna.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
Gove Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gove Matt »

TLD15, 10-15kg rod with 50lb braid and 80lb leader with snapper sinker and 2 droppers of the line, one about 30cm of the bottem and one 40cm above that and i use size 6 hooks
Cheers