Bowfishing

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
darbarra69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bowfishing

Post by darbarra69 »

Is anyone involve in Bowfishig or has tried it? Is it legal? Any advices? Is Net dragging still allowed in the NT?
Thanks and happy :fishing: Franky

john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Use to do a bit of bowfishing years ago down south mainly for carp.
Tried it a few times up here but the water clarity is a bit of a problem,
Neep tides around the rocks at gunpoint has worked for me in the past.
One work mate use to shoot the big barra under the lights at east arm when the wharf was being built. But I think taking a barra with the bow may not be aloud.
I use a dragnet quite a bit usualy at gunpoint beach for livebait, as long as the net is 16 metere or less it is ok to use but not in or around creeks.
Lee point beach is also a good spot to drag for whiting.But sometimes you get a lot of very small fish.
Dont know if the laws have changed since I bought my net 6 years ago.
Beats throwing a net around for hours, me and my lad have some lively discusions as to whe gets the deep end first thing in the morning during the dry :cheers:
freon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

bowfishing

Post by freon »

what do you do with the barra after its been shot
and it measures 54.5 cms
cheers
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

what do you do with the barra after its been shot
and it measures 54.5 cms

Same thing you do with the gut-hooked bleeding barra that is 54.5cm :mrgreen:

The difference in attitude and law between fish-harvesting methods is odd. I think that even scuba divers should be legally entitled to take one or two fish for dinner, even if it is "too easy" - at least divers can pick quality and not kill a heap of by-catch fish and bait in the process. If a method is "easy" but is ecologically sound, eg it causes no by-catch and no habitat damage, then it should simply have a tight bag limit, maybe one or two fish :-) :catch:

You can't spear a barra with a speargun in the NT, but other fish are fair game, work that out. Spearos might knock over a few barra around wharves, but I think the fish in the Adelaide and Daly etc are fairly safe :lol:
freon
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by freon »

good site mat
my point is you cant tell how big the barra is when you look through water it is magnafied Lots of guys go spearing at night with spot lights behind channel island at low tide i just think its wrong because a 500 barra looks like a 600 through the water
cheers
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by chanos »

Rubbish, if you are out of the water looking in , there is no magnification whatsoever.

Regards chanos.
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
timwicks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by timwicks »

I am one of the guys that goes spearing with a spotty and I have a rule f thumb. If I am in doubt I leave it. If it is that close to 55 just leave it be.
Wicksy

“I think I got off on the wrong planet. Beam me up Scotty, there's no rational life here."
--- Robert Anton Wilson
Dyslexics Of The World Untie.
darbarra69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spear fishing under spot

Post by darbarra69 »

HI Timwicks, I heard about spearing under a spot, Could you let us know a bit more about the skills needed? where/when to go? If is not much of a secret :uhh:
I`m always interested in trying new ways of fishing.

I would like to say Thanks to everyone who given me advices in the past, even after 30 years in Darwin, fishing is still a challenge.

Happy :fishing:

Return to “Landbased”