Advise on H.P. rating for Stessl hull, please.

sagair
Silver Member
Silver Member

Advise on H.P. rating for Stessl hull, please.

Post by sagair »

Cheers, I want to get a new/ newer motor for my Stessl. There is no compliance plate attached to the boat and the only identification is the Stessl Alloy Craft sticker on the side at the back. It appears not to have a model name/number etc anywhere on the boat. Can any of you blokes identify it correctly. Have attached a couple of pics, thanks gazza.

slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

thats an oldie sagair
what length is it im guessing its about 4.5-5.0m a 75 etec or optimax would be good on thats if you wanted to go 2 stroke or a 75-90 suzuki 4 stroke
its mainly the weight of the motor you have to watch
i belive stesco are still in business give them a call im sure they will be able to help you
sagair
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sagair »

slapper1 wrote:thats an oldie sagair
what length is it im guessing its about 4.5-5.0m a 75 etec or optimax would be good on thats if you wanted to go 2 stroke or a 75-90 suzuki 4 stroke
its mainly the weight of the motor you have to watch
i belive stesco are still in business give them a call im sure they will be able to help you
Cheers Slapper, I emailed Stessl with pictures on the 14th , so far I have not had a reply. Guess they are not too interested.
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

if you want to go 4 stroke but are concearned about weight I am sure the honda 75 is the lightest in that range and they go alright.

you might need to get an engineering certificate or somthing. If you plan on insuring it, don't guess.

hope this helps.

:cheers:
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
sagair
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sagair »

Rug wrote:if you want to go 4 stroke but are concearned about weight I am sure the honda 75 is the lightest in that range and they go alright.

you might need to get an engineering certificate or somthing. If you plan on insuring it, don't guess.

hope this helps.

:cheers:
Thanks Rug, Yes the weight is a concern with some motors. The old 70 'rude weighs app 115kg the new 70/90 two strokes are not a great deal heavier but few and far between late model s/hand. The 4 strokes are heavier of course going to a DF90 at app., 180kilos, which is a bit much for the old boat. [still no cracks or welds in it]. My thinking is if I go too powerful it will mean rebuilding the transom maybe and no insurance as you say. I am not sure if the 1988 70 'rude was rated at 70hp at the flywheel or at the prop like the Jap motors. Regards gazza.