macks from the bank

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Malphh
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

macks from the bank

Post by Malphh »

Where are some good land based mackeral options!? i live near nightcliff and lack a boat. Only been in darwin for 1 year and am yet to catch a mack

ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

East point mate, bit info on it in fishfinder on it. Dont do much landbased but herd they get few off there.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

yeah east point is the go, float out a dead pillie or live russels snapper or something similar.
Should get you something.
jimbobbolty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jimbobbolty »

On this website i always hear people go on about how good east point is, i mean dont get me wrong its good. But i think that mandorah jetty is in a leage of its own i mean ive never caught a good sized mack off east point. Mandorah on the other hand i have pulled a 120 off there and seen a 140 be taken. It may be a bit far for you but the way to fish mandorah is to get live bait and big ones, to do this you can either get a old castnet you dont care much about anymore and cast under neith the jetty have got over 80 in one cast doing this, the problem with cast netting is that on a bad day you may only get 20 and there all small. So on a bad day i get out my bait jigs and jig up some bigger ones. The other thing i have found is even though you may see fish around the pileons they rearly take baits so i cast out into open water and have a much higher success rate, you can get the fish arounf the pileons quit easly with a metal slice and jig it. But the fish usually just wrap around the pileons and snap you off.
Listen to my bands song we need to get our plays up.
http://www.myspace.com/seedtherockband
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

East point is productive mate just gotta be there at the right time.
Look to be there on a peak high spring tide on sunrise. Once the coldness of the dry kicks in it increases the chances also.
I use a 7ft glass rod with my old penn 7000 spooled with 15kg fireline, i think, i know its fireline anyway. A heavy weighted lure and cast that
sick puppy as far as you can bro. Metal slugs or bumper bars, big arse poppers, squid skirts or whatever. Queenies and GT's, come in close to the rocks in the morning to feed, ive had golden trevs at my feet in schools sucking on the algae.
Image Image
Fishless
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishless »

As already stated definitely give east point a go. I've picked up a few macks on metal slices out there in the past. Halco chrome twisties seem to work pretty well. I normally walk out on the exposed rock bar up the end on spring lows. Just dont leave any valuables in view in your car while out fishing, a friend of mine learnt that the hard way.

Mandorah jettys very well known for being a bit of a land based fishing mecha. I've got a few day trips planned for mandorah this coming dry season, jigging up live bait and casting them out as already stated. Does anyone know which tides work best over there? No doubt the big spring tides would be a no go.

Another possibility is Lee Point, havnt been out there yet, but I'm keen to head out there on a spring low tide and walk out as far as possible armed with a huge spinning outfit with a heap of metal slugs and poppers, to chuck around the exposed rocks/reef. No idea if its even really fishable from land but I'm gonna give it a go.