Get your livies on the way to the ramp!

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Would you buy live bait if it was available?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 35

Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Get your livies on the way to the ramp!

Post by Andy Grey »

Ok a friend of mine and a very keen fisho is looking into the idea of a live bait shop, do you think this is a viable idea. Would you buy livies on your way out or would you still get your own? Still need to do the research on the licensing of a business like this but what do you think? is it being done anywhere already? would you be a customer? Would love to hear your feedback and if anyone knows this is happening anywhere already.

http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Hell yer! I'd buy em. barra lollies. especially when it's high tide and you cant catch the mungrels.

i'd pay a dollar each I suppose. any size too.

i can see myself catching a hard earned seista unmongst the shade of the mangrove trees with a livie doing all the work amongst the roots. snagged? barra sucked the livie off the hook? who cares!!! the lines in the water so it must be fishin. :sleep:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Big business in the States. They have floating bait stores with livies sold by the scoop. 24hr access, just pull alongside and wake them up.

You would have to be pretty good at catching mullet for it to work out to be truely worth the hassle though I would think.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

There used to be one in the Rapid Creek shops many moons ago, were around for a little while. We'd grab some every now and then if we didnt have time or were slack. They had a couple of 1.8 mt dia tanks setup
:cheers: :cheers:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

I was uunder the impression that you were not allowed to introduce fish caught else were into a waterway.

As i said this is my understanding more than happy to be corrected.....

But as it has been said good idea for when you cant be bothered, missed the tide ect ect.

Pagey
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
Cheetum
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cheetum »

A mate and I were thinking of doing similar. Setting up a big cage at dinah beach and asking/paying one of the resident yachts to tie it out the back. When researching the legistlation I got lost... I'd definately pay for them, and pay extra for big-uns.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Pretty sure there was guy selling livies from home at Alawa years ago. He did it for a long while so it must have made money.

Better idea is a floating pie cart at Sadgroves on weekends, might foul up KK and Smithy's health plan, but if you can live with the guilt it would be a goer :mrgreen:
bandit

Post by bandit »

Ernie wrote:There used to be one in the Rapid Creek shops many moons ago, were around for a little while. We'd grab some every now and then if we didnt have time or were slack. They had a couple of 1.8 mt dia tanks setup
:cheers: :cheers:
yeh i remember that one. just round the corner from my place. he was going for awhile then shut down. dont think it was cause he wasnt making money tho. some other reason. he use to just catch them all locally in his cast net. obviously it would require some sort of licence to sell them legally.
there also use to be some young locals at the daly that went round with a trailer on there pushies seeling cherapin to all the people staying down there. They had no licence and eventually the cops stopped them doing it :bow:

i think its a good idea, but they'd have to be reasonably priced to get people to buy them.. which could mean lots of hard work for a small reward for your mate.. i imagine there would be some pretty big overheads starting out as well :drinking1:
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

start small what have you got to loose. would be handy for those 3hour fishing trips you squeez in mid week.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I reckon if you sat near Reidys lures real early with a bag of live yabbies this time of the year they would go pretty quick.
mac10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by mac10 »

Great idea, i'm sure it can be done. It would just be the legalities of it all if your mate wanted to do it by the books.

An Example:

The live beach worm trade is good and well in NSW. I know a few guys who sell them to tackle shops down there. The guys catching them had to have professional fishing licenses (LFB) to take the worms and sell them but not sure if the tackle shops needed another license to sell them. I'd say they would. Obviously the laws down there are different to up here (thank god) and it is illegal to sell any marine animal or crustaceans without a permit.
The guys that were catching the beachworms were getting $2.00 per worm about 5 years ago, a nice profitable venture, considering they could easily get 200 a day if the tides were right.

Around Port Stephens as kids we would catch huge amounts of mullet and yellowtail and sell (swap for tackle i mean because selling is illegal) live to the tackle shops so they could sell them to the Game fishing boats for live Marlin baits. Again not sure what license the tackle shop had (if any) but they were selling them as fast as we could catch them.

Up here we are blessed with the fact that the best livies for Barra are mullet and they are about as hearty as any fish in the ocean. You can keep them anywhere. Down South My brother at his house has a plastic 44 gal drum with a big airator and he keeps mullet alive for weeks to months for those times when he can't get any live Jew baits. Your mate should be able to keep live mullet caged in the open water healthy for a long time. Just remember though there are also regulations about penning fish so be careful. Fisheries laws can be very tough.

Good luck, i wish your mate well. Hope he gets the idea up and running.
Chris
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

yep top idea :mrgreen:

recon you would be breaking some sort of law/regulation????

check with the fisheries mate and im sure it could be done

normally have a tank full at home this time of year but im to lazy to set it up again :drinking2:
Fishalot
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

live mullet

Post by Fishalot »

been looked into. you definatley need a profesional fishermans licience and the cost and work involved we worked out you would have to sell them for about five bucks each so I think that would restrict sales dramaticly
R.W.M.
Pecheur
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Pecheur »

And what about if your breed them?
Technically you are not fishing them, you become more of a farmer than a fisherman, and then it might be different in regards to the law?
But honestly I have no clues... :bonk: