Bravo 2001 2.5ltr Turbo Diesel

John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Bravo 2001 2.5ltr Turbo Diesel

Post by John Whitegoods »

I want something that can cruise pretty quick down the highway but still has a bit of 4wd ability

anyone got one of the above models? anygood?

Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

Drugs are not the answer, unless the question is what is not the answer
slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

the turbo bravo is not too bad good power but limited to 4wd capabilitys due to ground clearance and wheel travel but apart from that there not too bad
are you going to tow with it as well
John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

yeah slapps going to tow a small boat. 385 edgetracker on a light trailer ...

how fast are the mazdas?

cruise ok at 130 - 150?

pull a boat 120 +?
Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

easy pull a small boat at 120k but you will not get very good fuel economy
once you start to push any diesel over 100k you use heaps more fuel they will cruise all day on 130k without trailer
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

john i own a 2002 ford courier and have a 5.2mt quinntrex that i tow . I can sit on 120kmh with the boat on no problems but it does use some fuel at that speed but back off to 100kmh and it is good. it has heaps of grunt down low and is a much nicer and more comfortable 4x4 than my 1998 sr5 hilux that i got rid of to buy this. slapper is right to a degree on ground clearance but all the IFS utes have issues but i would never buy another older model hilux again due to the ride quality issues (ask opes as well),i have a lot of extra gear on my car due to working for ARB and it has improved the car heaps. i gained 40 mm clearance with an old man emu suspension and i run a 31 x 10.5 x 15 inch tyre with no body scrape.it has a 200kg constant rear spring and new torosion bars and shocks all round which eat corrugation, rear step towbar, winch bar, ipf spots and an safari snorkel, canopy and liner etc. the boys at work thought i was mad buying it until they have driven or been in it and it is a most capable car for most situations. the money i saved on buying a ford as opposed to other brands was amazing as it was a straight swap for the hilux and it had 130000km and the courier 10000km (good value ? i think so), at first i tried to deny that the ford was better than my lux but after 2 years and 40000km i really cant fault it. my advice to you is see if any are coming up in the auctions from defence and youll get a good low k car for bugger all, or if you can stretch the budget buy a new ranger. they are farking awsome and for the price of a later model hilux at auction you may be able to buy a new ranger. if you want to go for a run in my car ring me at work or pm me and ill show you how nice a car they are
cheers darren
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

thanks smithy - good to know ... my housemate has one which suffers from lag a bit so yeah would be cool to see if his is a lemon or just needs a service, they are alot cheaper ...

ive got a 93 hilux at the moment so i know all about rough riding! mine has a 99 3ltr dropped in plus an aftermarket turbo, lift kit, shocks, snork, duel bat, solenoid etc ... it goes well but when the old man comes up he is pretty much exhausted after spending 1/2hour in it!

i will see how i go this weekend - will be bidding on a few utes through pickles this saturday... couriers, rodeos, luxs will all get a look in ... and im an impatient bastido prone to wanting to close the deal no matter what ... so hopefully i dont end up with a hyundai getz !
Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

slapper1

Post by slapper1 »

a getz would be better than a hilux
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

JW i use to run 4x4 courses with the couriers... they are better off road than most people think.... if driven by someone who knows what they are doing I would rate them as EQUAL to my newish hilux (off road).

So why go with the hilux :-? :-? RESALE...RESALE ....RESALE

SMITHY is right ..go and get an ex defense one.... just check it for radio fitments... a sure sign the MP or range control have had it...and then you don't want it....trust me :shock:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
A_Nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by A_Nomad »

John, i have a 99 Bravo turbo deisel and am pretty happy as an all round car, i do find that they are very thirsty on the juice when towing the boat, i have to stick around 90k's when towing the 4.75m, otherwise i sit and watch the gauge go down, As for power, i dont really rate them for that as well, when pulling the boat out she someitmes struggles depending on the ramp. 4wd comes into it a few times. I wouldnt say they can cruise pretty quick down the highway either.
Cheers,
Brad
><((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ...NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.
¸¸ .··.¸¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY ·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY .¸NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY¸.·.¸¸ .··.¸¸.NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY