Rodeo 2004 -RA LX 3ltr Turbo IntrCooled Diesel- how they go?

John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Rodeo 2004 -RA LX 3ltr Turbo IntrCooled Diesel- how they go?

Post by John Whitegoods »

I am looking at purchasing the above vehicle in an upcoming auction. Its done 120,000 kms

Are the new model rodeos any good - do Izuzu still make the motors?

Dont have the cash for a turbo hilux that has done under 150,000kms and not interested in the straight 3ltr diesel hilux...

Two of my mates have 96 Rodeo with the Izuzu turbo diesels in them. Both have been very tough reliable utes, one has lived on a cattle station its whole life and done some very hard yards ...

anyone owned one of the later model rigs and got dirt to dish / praises to sing?

Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

Drugs are not the answer, unless the question is what is not the answer
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Not a bad truck.. I know the injector seals had some issues but were fixed by holden under warranty (most of them) The petrol jobbies are a fuel guzzling pig :shock: just ask Blinky :smile:

The older models were ok.. My mate Greg has had about 3-4 of them and all were used on the farm and had a hard life... In fact I have a duel cab in the back yard awaiting some minor TLC before he sells it.

The other thing to look at is the gap between the cab and the tray...the older models had a habbit of bending the chasis at the rear wheels :shock: and you pick it up by the gap being bigget at the top than at the bottom... Holden fixed them by welding a big plate on the chasis after they straightened them :shock:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

2rods wrote: The petrol jobbies are a fuel guzzling pig :shock: just ask Blinky :smile: :shock:
JW, I don’t know what the diesel jobbies are like and I’ll never find out as Rodeo I have now will be the one and only. :bonk:

My workplace supplied me with the 3.6l V6 petrol version and it is absolutely atrocious on fuel economy, best I ever got out of it is 6 km/l, if I’m towing the boat to the Daly, I need to top up at Adelaide River otherwise I won’t get back out to the highway! :shock: :shock:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

We had one down south.. think it was an 04 but might have been an 05... Piece of s..t for 4wd drive work, no clearance, H2 or H4 gear ratio's are very high and we had heaps of trouble with the push button 4wd selector.. had a mind of its own.. Actual engine was no trouble, if you like driving Massey Fergusons.

And was a bastard to service with accessibility the problem.

Needless to say like Blinky it was the first and last.

Probably OK if you were not going to cane it too much but if you are I wouldn't get one. I'd still go a toyota with Km's anyday JW.

Have you looked at a Triton? Similar ute, We had one of those and that was a good truck, still not a toyota but 10G cheaper....
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........
Hawkeye
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hawkeye »

my 2006 version seems to chew a bit of oil when towing the boat ~ and has less than 50,000km on the clock :-?
Tom a (hawk...eye)

Fishin again...... lookin for a meterey......
John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by John Whitegoods »

Blinky yeah not even considering the petrol for that reason ... they seem to lack grunt too for a 3.5 ltr V6 ...

Ray - are we talking the new shape here? I know the old ones lack clearance but from the look of the new ones they look a bit higher - optical illusion ... ?

Dam ... not what i wanted to hear anyway ...

bascially i want something fast - go down the highway at 150 - that is not going to get bogged at the shady camp bog hole ...

considering the triton ... or bravo ... might put another post up re them ...

might just end up getting a crewman!
Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

Drugs are not the answer, unless the question is what is not the answer
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

JW.. yeh mate current shape.. low.. just like a 2wd but with an extra diff... But I'm sure you could talk to Smithy and jack it up if you wanted.... It did go well, plenty of tow for a small diesel so it might suit you but don't say I didnt warn you!

check this link mate

http://www.productreview.com.au/showite ... em_id=1259
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

they go ok just take some earplugs or buy a 1500watt stereo to drown out the motor :shock:
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing