Squid Fishing around Darwin/Dundee

Leaving town and willing to share an old spot? Post 'em up and make the world a better place.
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Squid Fishing around Darwin/Dundee

Post by Goodsey »

Howdy, fellow fishermen! Exciting news - just installed some slick underwater lights on the Topender and already spotted a few squid skulking about. Any hot leads on promising squid hunting grounds around the Darwin Dundee areas? Let's team up and bag some squid! Cheers! :fishing:

Tight lines and good times :fishing: 8)
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Squid Fishing around Darwin/Dundee

Post by theodosius »

I've seen them at night at Fenton Patches
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Mostly small ones I've seen around Darwin wharves, we called them torpedo squid and got them with cast nets, no doubt they would take a small jig. They seem to like boat lights and form shoals.

The bigger 'tiger squid' with the fins all the way down the body I've seen mostly outside the harbour around shallow, clearwater reefs at night, but they do show up in the harbour.
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Goodsey »

Matt Flynn wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 pm Mostly small ones I've seen around Darwin wharves, we called them torpedo squid and got them with cast nets, no doubt they would take a small jig. They seem to like boat lights and form shoals.

The bigger 'tiger squid' with the fins all the way down the body I've seen mostly outside the harbour around shallow, clearwater reefs at night, but they do show up in the harbour.
Thanks mate, i might start looking out around the front more i have just given the 480 a facelift and all new electronics so im keen to see if the lights get the squid to the boat. :mrgreen:
stroma
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stroma »

I have used a squid light around the Perons. Within minutes it attracted heaps of small bait-size squid but only one larger one. No matter how hard I tried the small ones wouldn’t even take a small squid jig. Other than that you get heaps of decent size squid around the boat lights in the Nhulunbuy area. I’m sure others would have better intel.
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Goodsey »

stroma wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm I have used a squid light around the Perons. Within minutes it attracted heaps of small bait-size squid but only one larger one. No matter how hard I tried the small ones wouldn’t even take a small squid jig. Other than that you get heaps of decent size squid around the boat lights in the Nhulunbuy area. I’m sure others would have better intel.
Awesome appreciate the feedback mate love your work :cool:
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

A commercial guy has told me straight out of vesteys beach a few KMs during dry season. I am yet to test it but apparently plenty.

Also off Dundee does alright.

Cheers
Gibbsy