Fishing out wide off Darwin and Dundee

Leaving town and willing to share an old spot? Post 'em up and make the world a better place.
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Fishing out wide off Darwin and Dundee

Post by Goodsey »

G'day, fellow anglers! After countless negotiations with the financial advisor, I've finally scored the green light and a cracker of a boat is making its way to Darwin: a sleek Boston Whaler 255 Conquest. With this beauty on the horizon, my fishing playground just got a whole lot bigger!

Up until now, I've been tearing it up in my trusty Top Ender 480 (don't worry, still holding onto it for those epic barra missions). But with the capability to tackle serious seas, I'm setting my sights on venturing far and wide to target reef and pelagic species on extended trips.

Now, my reef knowledge is a bit on the thin side, despite scouring Navionics. So, if any of you legends could steer a bloke in the right direction, that'd be downright legendary! Cheers, mates! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tight lines and good times :fishing: 8)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Fishing out wide off Darwin and Dundee

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice!

Hit the rocky reefs/artificial reefs on the turn of the tide, usually can't go wrong just with that basic advice. If no bites, move.

Night fishing often brings results too.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

With a boat like that you're sure to be able to fish some of the good grounds wide of Dundee!
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Goodsey »

theodosius wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm With a boat like that you're sure to be able to fish some of the good grounds wide of Dundee!
Absolutely, mate! Dundee's Flat Top Bank and Newby Shoals are top contenders in my playbook too. But hey, I don't fancy hauling all the way to Dundee every time I'm itching to hit the water, ha!

I'm after some good ol' general advice: places off Darwin, ideal tides, the whole shebang. Not asking for your coordinates or anything, just a nudge in the right direction and some local wisdom would be ace.

With the range my new rig offers, I've got my sights set on more distant horizons. So, any insights on where to cast my line further afield would be gold. Cheers, fellas!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

There's heaps of old info on here, search by area. I don't fish bluewater much (4.9m tinnie)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Main thing are tides. Big tides are better off Dundee where there is usually less current to deal with than off Darwin.

Building tidal movement coming off neaps is a popular time, usually there is some water clarity for pelagics, and the fish bite better generally with some tidal movement.

Big tides can be good, but they offer only a small window on the turn for bottom fishing, unless you find a place where there is less current flow. Shallow spots like Roche Reefs can be good on the biggest tides.

On neap tides, deep water at night can work for reef fish.
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Goodsey »

Matt Flynn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:36 pm Main thing are tides. Big tides are better off Dundee where there is usually less current to deal with than off Darwin.

Building tidal movement coming off neaps is a popular time, usually there is some water clarity for pelagics, and the fish bite better generally with some tidal movement.

Big tides can be good, but they offer only a small window on the turn for bottom fishing, unless you find a place where there is less current flow. Shallow spots like Roche Reefs can be good on the biggest tides.

On neap tides, deep water at night can work for reef fish.
Love your work @Matt, thanks heaps i have been reading through all the previous post and have alot more to go but i am loving it, some great reads here.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Pick an area and use the search function. Lots of old reports and info. Check what time of year post were made. Info will still be much the same, especially for blue water.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Nice Boat Goodsey

Dont have to go too far from the Perons to get some good bottom fish and pelagics, make sure you always drop a jig under the schools of Mack Tuna feeding ;-) might see you out there some time, just about ready for my first bluewater trip this year HaHa!!
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!
Goodsey
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Goodsey »

Agent86 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:27 am Nice Boat Goodsey

Dont have to go too far from the Perons to get some good bottom fish and pelagics, make sure you always drop a jig under the schools of Mack Tuna feeding ;-) might see you out there some time, just about ready for my first bluewater trip this year HaHa!!
Legend, Yeah mate im looking forward to some serious blue water action. hope to see you out there Agent86.
Agent86
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Agent86 »

Cheers Goodsey
Just heading to Blue Holes Gunn Point in the big boat Sea Eagle :-) weekend on the water
If there is water and it holds fish, then it is fun trying to fool them into eating what you offer!!

Especially when you can see them!