Monster off the plains

Hunting pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Monster off the plains

Post by Flickin4em » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:24 pm

Did a lap of shoal bay on the quad last night .... saw no pigs but nailed a fair few canetoads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Monster off the plains

Post by al57 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 pm

great job but flogging a dead horse there

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:42 am

al57 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:13 pm
great job but flogging a dead horse there
Each one of these pests removed from the system saves a heap of native animals both as as food for the toads themselves and the resulting poisonings to others. It also reduces further offspring that will contine to adversly impact the environment.... Whilst I know we won't be able to get rid of them I'll gladly waste plenty of ammo and time shooting way more of them.

.22 hollow points are awesome for them
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 am

I guess everybody knows how/why we ended up with these things.

As a kid living at Emerald in CQ I never saw any. I'd see these mainly on the Qld E coast around cane areas like B'Berg/Mackay.

I later spent 20 years in B'berg up to 1995 and simply got used to them. Never thought much about them until I moved back to Rocky in 1995 where they had showed up. Not in any numbers but there all the same.

When I started going to the NT, we'd stop overnight at Chinaman Ck dam at Cloncurry where I never saw so many cane toads in my life. Simply thousands and thousands of them. Much higher concentrations than anywhere I saw on the Qld E coast.

At the Roper R they were there as well. Not as many as Cloncurry but fair numbers. No s/cane in western Qld or Roper. Didn't see as many at Daly.

Obviously, they were spreading out in a ring from the Qld E coast and had reached the NT but the densest part of the spread was in western Qld not far from the NT border. I think the real cane toad invasion of the NT is yet to happen.
Regards
Ronje

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:46 pm

i do my fair share if eradicating them hate the bastards but with one toad laying a million eggs we have no hope of stopping them .i use detol here and it kills them pretty quick ,a bit cheaper too than a hollow point but not as much fun lol

bigwoody
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bigwoody » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:22 am

Thought I knew about the toad introduction until recently, met an old fella from QLD who was from cane farmer pioneering family. I was whinging about the devastating effect the toad has had on the wildlife in the NT. as well as the stupid reason for their introduction to control the cane eating beetle.
He told me the real reason the toad was introduced was to kill the snakes that were thriving in the cane crops, harvesting was done by hand and the work force was being bitten by snakes, mostly tiapans and browns resulting in many deaths and understandably a work force reluctant to do the work.
The outcome is obvious, since the introduction in 1930s the toad is now in the East Kimberly, there are virtually no reptiles left in the top end.
The toad introduction into Australia is classified as the most bio diversity devastating invasive species release on the planet. The Australian government has ceased all funding for research and control of the toad, we have been defeated.
Optimistic Pessimist

Return to “Northern Safari”