Arvo on the harbour

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Arvo on the harbour

Post by Flickin4em » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:10 am

The constant sounds of the waves crashing the shoreline of the island sounded as I unstrapped the tinny and looked down the ramp. It had been blowing a borderline gale earlier this week for the start of SEASON 4's MDB but now it was finally dropping off a bit . I plugged in the motorguide and readied the last items in the boat for a solo launch off one of our gnarliest concrete ramps.

I backed down with a couple of corrections, (nobody's perfect) whilst admiring the scrape marks down the culvert from the less fortunate or skilled crews over the years. And pretty soon I was pushing off after deploying the motorguide and safety rope. I drove it out into a metre deep through the waves and spotlocked it..... money well spent !!!!
20181003_163653.jpg
I then parked up the top and ran back down after snapping a quick pic of my rig patiently waiting at the bottom. I drove it back in slowly with the remote then jumped aboard. Starting up the main motor i was immediately enroute to a local spot frequently admired by the landbased crews off the bridge....
2018-10-04 08.45.06.jpg
The wind was not too friendly in this bit and during the few brief lulls pictured a couple of decent sized fish boofed way off in the distance. So off to a different area :| .... leaving fish to find fish but anyway .. The miles ticked by quickly once in the sheltered bits of the river itself and able to open it up to full revs skipping waves at 50 plus.

I dropped off the plane early on and well wide of the next spot and drifted in with the motorguide assisting the drift to find the perfect angle. Once in position my gulp prawn didn't get far before it was inhaled by a nice little chrome barra.
20181003_174732.jpg
While it wasn't constant action a few manoeuvres around the rockbars nooks and crannies and plenty of accurate casts amongst the few snags and tonnes of oyster rocks were nailing a few as the afternoon progressed. Another minor scrape on the prop of the electric reminded me that this entire area has a few nasty hidden surprises to keep you on your toes. (and I reckon I'd hit this exact same rock with it last year too. :bonk:)

The tide began to push in and another pass of the headland had me spotlocked again sitting in a prime spot flicking into an eddy amongst the boulders covered in oysters. Soon another good fish easily 70 cms followed my lure all the way in before missing its strike at it right near my feet. I persisted with the prawn for a while before I changed to an ol faithful gold bomber and a few dozen more casts later hooked up again on another low 60cm model. I checked it for tags before releasing it... no luck yet but you've got to be in it to win it so they say.
20181003_191855.jpg
A bit of a lap with the spottie casting to a big rock island revealed a few mullet schools up further so the cast net was sent out and a few willing candidates were ready for action in no time. Back to the previous spot with about 1m more water. The usual snags and almost getting a crab on one went through the few mullet pretty quick. But as always happens right when you're busy getting a drink and bite to eat then BAM !!!

SERIOUSLY BIG FISH ON !!!

The rod sitting in the holder barely moved but the hiss of its 50lb braid ripping through the surface told me that my mullet was already eaten and it was action stations. ... I grabbed the rod but immediately felt the razor edges of the oyster rocks between me and my fish and only mere milliseconds later we parted company for good. :banghead: ... Darn it.
It didn't jump .... just went ballistic leaving me 40m short on 50lb whiplash asking myself what the bl..dy hell was that ???. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flickin4em on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

tristan.sloan
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Arvo on the harbour

Post by tristan.sloan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:35 pm

good read!

Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:26 pm

NIce report Tristan...love that area of the harbour
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au

Flickin4em
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Flickin4em » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Andy Grey wrote:NIce report Tristan...love that area of the harbour

Thx andy.... I'm guessing that you must be using the same optometrist as matt. :lol:
Proudly supporting quality products by: LED Lenser, Lightforce, GoPro, Samsung, Lifeproof, Shimano, G.Loomis, Berkley, Owner, Rapala, Yozuri, Samaki, Storm, Zerek and Zman :)

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:39 pm

great report ,you wouldnt know what oogly you could have hooked that time of night ,big jewie,barra ,shark,cod etc would have been great to land it though

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Great write up!

Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Always a great read, thanks mate.

al57
Seadog
Seadog

Post by al57 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:23 am

those berkley shrimps are a brilliant all round placcy down here in hervey bay ,my fave placcy ,have caught all kinds of species on them

Return to “Barramundi Reports”