Spin vs Baitcast

Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Spin vs Baitcast

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Very interesting Dick. Never heard of that happening before!

hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Anybody looking to become more accurate with spin gear should have a watch of this video by Adam Royter. Unknown to many but Adam has represented Australia in accuracy casting. The tips he gives in this video are the golden rules for spin cast accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8G2Hy6LiJk
Bluewater Dreamin'
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Just got a twinpower hg 4000 and a 15-40lb venom spin set up, normally prefer baitcasters but clearance prices got me
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Baitcaster has to be in good order for it to work well, whereas spin gear not so critical. Spin gear is therefore less critical in terms of maintenance, probably the better option if you leave your gear sitting around for long periods.

Something special about barra fishing with baitcasters tho, I only used spin for tiny lures.

Watched a traditional owner lure fishing with a handline, seemed to work but a metery would be interesting :D
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

80-100lb hand lines are great fun on big Barra and quite easy with livies and it's easier to 'place' the Mullet where you want it with a back hand throw rather than ripping its spine out with a rod casting it or getting it stuck in the branches and then ripping its spine out anyway.

Feed out as much line as needed when its on the take (quicker than a rod for nil resistance) then set the hook as the line runs through your hands, no skull dragging, just constant tension and playing all the way to the boat or bank, and with the usual Barra shenanigans, it's a whole different feeling on hand line and excitement plus as its just you and the fish.

Great fun, but I will say... I'm all Bait Caster in the creeks nowadays and I've had to service worn reels just from chucking lures around with them so for anyone that lure fishes with a hand reel - I've watched them too, either have way too much patience and time or have some real knowledge and secrets and deserve some real respect.
joesgotone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by joesgotone »

I own 50 reels and have 25 of each. So maybe i don't have a preference. Plus 5 fly reels just in case.
how many is enough lures, rods and reels. Is there a magic number, considering you usually only catch 1 fish on a single lure on the one rod and reel your casting with.
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Acsle »

For me it's spinning gear. I find less maintenance, ability to cast lighter lures, and they're pretty good value (you can get a decent spin reel for $100, whereas a decent bait caster will cost more). Also, most spin reels have better line capacities. They also don't have much of a learning curve....good for beginners.